Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Didn't think you were going to come over to my view either but there are a couple of points:

1. All the "ease" of doing things the way we do them now relies on cheap energy, and peak oil wasn't half the problem that being unwilling to burn fossil fuels (to make things worse) will turn into. Shipping costs will make local production a better idea (a good thing).

2. We've had some experience now with the second largest city in NZ getting whacked. That happened sudden (like about 20 seconds) but it is taking forever to handle the displacement/rebuilding and infrastructure.

I think you "misunderestimate" :-) the total difficulty of this movement of infrastructure of a city. Maybe I am overestimating it, but I do not think so. Build the roads, water supplies, sewage treatment, power generation, mass-transit. I might call it an opportunity, except if the energy to do it is in short supply the problem is much harder.

3. At the same time everyone has to move, everyone also has to find food and water.

I am still wondering if you've figured out what the escape clause is. The one technology that would enable us to NOT suffer and probably to escape many of the consequences of burning all the coal. Can't fix the acid ocean, but many of the other problems.

Scientists are poor judges of what Engineers can and will do. The "Rodney Dangerfield" profession IS ignored, and so mistakes are made. I am however, an engineer. I never expected society to "collapse" with $60 oil. Nor even with $180 oil. That ALONE is a bearable burden and we Frack for gas and move energy production to gas and coal and life goes on.

Putting a price on the CO2 emissions however, makes ALL of those sources expensive at once. Not expensive to supply, expensive to use. The relative costs of hydro, nuclear, wind, solar, biomass all start to look MUCH better, but the supply of those things is still very limited compared to the fossil fuel industry... because they have to be subsidized to match the subsidy handed the fossil fuel industry, of the uncosted disposal of waste.

If you live long enough you will get to see how Murphy combines the difficult bits to amplify the damage and break stuff. For I am a true believer in the God that all good Engineers properly fear - Murphy.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.