Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
care to share how you think of it

here's the story

*Lowe's = per VL, operating margins are 10.8%, HD at 16.5%

*Low knows this - has a new CEO - they are closing 50 stores (30 CAD), shutting down a money losing operation, changing a lot of people and obviously the goal is getting to HD profitability

*HD (and Lowe's) have benefited from a housing run which has seen OM go from 8.6% in 2008 to 16.5% now but rates are putting some pressure on housing so we'll see if something shows up in the next few quarters at these companies

*LOW seems ok on a gross cash flow basis - 5778 vs. 79.2b cap. Debt is 13b but not overly worrisome
but the story is a mess, with lots of charges and such which will provide cover for at least a year

would you consider low under this scenario (solid valuation - opportunity for improvement but not actually a reality) despite muted store growth prospects

HD took a journey from $17 in 2008 to $215 with stores at 2274 to 2284 based on a near doubling of operating margins, helped by strong SSS in an improving housing market and you didn't know margins would move up this hard (I didn't - I stopped following it). But housing is probably less than a tailwind now and HD did a lot of EPS growth from BS leverage too.

I'm just not sure here...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.