Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Difficult to answer but here goes. Based on what I have found. Get from HR like you said, all the info on your accounts, the rules and options.
Account Type - Taxable at what rate? - Rules for withdrawal and/or Exchanging.
Pension rules and Dependents and Beneficiaries. Because you mentioned marriage, If you marry before or after retirement does it make a difference in who is covered or can receive funds.
In general if you marry while working then spousal inheritance rules could be different than if after.
The IRS has all the publications on rules for taxation. Social Sec Admin has rules on benefits. Again Married or not makes a difference.
I recommend to get IRS account for each person. Also SSA.gov account for each.
Medicare which you may or may not have.

The Fool boards and services offer some good advice.
I also like Kiplinger Personal Finance as a reference. Online I often use www.investopedia.com to get answers to particular questions. If you like doing your research and doing things on your own go for it.
If you hate the details and just want the answers get a fee based advisor and let them guide you.

I retired last year so have gotten a lot of good answers in the last 2 years. Still learning more though with every tax return. Message boards like these give mostly good advice. Sometimes they can fall short though.

These are things that I use , you may find others that are more useful to you.

Best of luck.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.