Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
Difficult to answer without knowing a lot more about your personal situation. In general I'd say go ahead and take gains this year up to the point they are 0% taxed. Remember, however, if you have state income tax they might be taxed as ordinary income depending on your state. It also sounds like you are thinking you need to re-balance due to one stock getting overweighted. That's an investment decision to made even without the tax consideration.

Also, remember you can take the capital gain and immediately buy back any stock you want to continue to hold. Wash sale rules only apply if you are taking a loss.

Double and triple check your estimates so you don't accidentally kick your income beyond the point of 0% cap gains rate, but it sounds like you're thinking along the right lines. Just don't let the tax tail wag the dog when it comes to investment decisions.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.