Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Per Alton Brown I've been looking into one of these. It really would be awesome to know the temp and not have to be constantly openign the oven. The problem is that they seem to be hit and miss according to the reviews on Amazon.

I've read TMF2Aruba's review of his Weber on the BBQ page, but not sure that I like the fact that you can't just program your own temp into it.

The probes seem to be the point of malfunction.

Also wondering, could I use one of these as an oven/smoker temperature gauge? Or do I need to buy an oven thermometer for that?

billyturtle
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Per Alton Brown I've been looking into one of these. It really would be awesome to know the temp and not have to be constantly openign the oven. The problem is that they seem to be hit and miss according to the reviews on Amazon.

The problem with the probes are that they get damaged when the temperature gets too high. Most of the time they are safe inside a piece of meat so they don't overheat, but if they fall out or get too hot they will break.

I'm on my second one, the probe on the first started giving wacky readings. I ruined it in the grill. The second one has given me no problems, I take better care of it. I don't see them as delicate, they just require that you be conscious of where it is going.

If anything happened to this one, I would buy another.
I absolutely swear by my Weber digital meat thermometer. I use it in the bbq as well as inside in the oven.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Yuh said,

"The problem with the probes are that they get damaged when the temperature gets too high."

Ah gots an ol' termomeeter layin' 'round here sumplace dat Ah useter use in de plant for de boiler fire boxex. As Ah recall it go to 'bout 3000 uv dem FairyHite degrees. Git yoseff wanna dem 'n yuh ain't gonna have no pro'llem. Smile!!

DeColoenelCAF