Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
This is a follow on from another thread:

http://boards.fool.com/1228/one-of-those-days-31655315.aspx?...

and posted here to allow better visibility and hopefully attract good discussion. All my posts in this discussion will be from a US point of view and the word foreign should be read as "non-US".

My approach WILL NOT involve setting up any foreign accounts. It also will not involve using ETFs or ADRs. Instead I will trade directly on foreign exchanges in local currency through my US brokerage account. Fidelity appears to make this very easy (I haven't done it yet, but I've enabled the feature and done a bit of research on potential pitfalls). The currency exchange issues can be as transparent as you like, or you can actively manage currency issues. I'm pretty sure other brokers offer similar capabilities.

I accept that there will be additional costs (trading fees, currency fees / exposure) and minor tax complications (foreign dividend with holding and US tax credits for such). Liquidity and geopolitical issues are other areas requiring attention. Tax advantaged accounts are also off limits (at Fidelity) for foreign trading, but that's not a show stopper for me. With the foreign withholding on dividends, it would make sense to keep things out of IRAs anyway.

I'm going to stop now and give others a chance to talk and see where this goes.

Ed
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.