Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/fisc99/

I love this report, it comes out once a year. Basically, the Taubman Center at Harvard University looks to see what each state pays in to the federal government, and what those states get back from the federal government.

It turns out that the major Northeast states pay in billions of dollars more than what returns to those states in federal program money. New Jersey and Connecticut are the ones who get the worst screwing. They only get 70 cents back for each dollar that gets paid in income and other federal taxes.

All of this money ends up being pilfered (if you ask me) in the South and West. On a lot of stupid programs that don't add up to much, like TVA, and on subsidizing a bunch of no-accounts to go out and have even more kids (so I have to come up with the money for the Earned Income Credit and Child Credit and these other bennies for the South that no one in the North qualifies for.)

We all get stuck paying five-figure income taxes every April; they pay maybe a couple hundred, if that, and spend Springtime running out to their mailboxes looking for the big federal check.

If I had a say in it, the Earned Income Credit and Child Credit down there would be the "Direct Charity Helping-Hand Family Loan Program" where people who can't make ends meet can apply annually for a $2000 loan (at, say 8.25%) if they go and start a family and can't pay for it. Then, if they fall behind on payments to the program (which will have all sorts of deferments you need a Ph.D. to figure out), then we can send them notices every quarter about their obligations to the federal government, and withhold any future tax refunds (like they even pay enough to get refunds.) Either that, or cancel their eligibility for the program.

I wonder how Tennessee's Congressman Jim Nussle would feel about that?
(I'll have the link that fills you in on what he's up to in a minute.)

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.