Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Disagree with idea that government should be forcing anyone to invest in a 401K.

Even if the new law passes, 'government' will not be 'forcing' anyone to invest in a 401(k). As already stated, the participants would have the ability to opt out - so there's no 'force' involved. There's already a law that allows, but does not require, companies to auto-enroll people in their 401(k) plans, and there are already companies doing so.

Suggest a more effective approach would be a nationwide educational program (on Personal Financial Management)with emphasis on encouraging individuals to learn how to manage money and invest responsibly.

Oh, so you're not okay with being 'forced' to have to opt out of participating in a 401(k), but you are okay with rolling out a 'nationwide' education program on finances? We don't even have nationwide agreement on things like how to teach civics, which, given that all citizens have the right to vote, is pretty important. Sorry, not seeing how this option is any better than requiring people to have to opt out of 401(k) contributions.

4) True Story. Found that I was paying French income taxes and extra fees to my brokerage because I had a French stock and an Israeli stock in my portfolio. Sold both stocks immediately.

Presumably, you were taking the foreign tax credit that you get on your US tax return to reimburse yourself of the foreign taxes you paid? If not, and it was in 2017 or later, you can amend your return. It won't help you get any extra fees that you paid your brokerage back, but it will compensate you for the taxes paid.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.