No. of Recommendations: 5
I'm really disappointed that GG is closing up shop. And I'm a little nonplussed, too--right when American investors are waking up to the world of international investing you're closing the one international service that MF offers? IF GG wasn't working the way you wanted it to, why not tweak it? I'm sure that I'm not alone in my struggle to get guidance I can trust on international stocks.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Kado

I hear you. But equally I've recently felt that US-listed international companies is too narrow a filter to sustain. There have been numerous global recommendations at MDP to date, with more to come. I hope, and suspect, your disappointment will be shortened when you get to know MDP. Also Nate and Nathan will be around for discussion board advice and opinions.

Rgds,

Emmet
Hi, kado. I hear your disappointment, though I'd like to say that the Fool *is* tweaking our international offering: You'll still be able to follow Nathan's globally minded investment advice -- just in a different place, on the Fool's free website Fool.com.
We'll have lots more specifics about Nathan's new venture in our final GG issue on May 10, but rest assured, the Fool isn't giving up coverage of international stocks. We're just trying to get the information to you in a new way.
--Tracy, your GG editor
Despite how this looks, Tracy and I are not identical twins with a clairvoyant connection. Nor are we working off a script. It's a coincidental, aligned position, which hopefully reinforces the point we made.

I bet we're dressed in same colors too. Kinda weird.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I bet we're dressed in same colors too. Kinda weird.

Ha! I'm in green today, but I'm pretty sure you can't see that from your desk in Dublin. ;)
--Tracy
No. of Recommendations: 12
I'm very disappointed, too. Since the free service will only be covering a subset of GG holdings, I'm sure some of the stocks in my portfolio will not get coverage, so I'm suddenly on my own with stocks that are very difficult to follow, find information on, and understand.

I don't plan to spend $999/year to get what has been costing me less than half that. Sure, MDP has a lot more to it, but I already had to think long and hard about shelling out more money for Supernova. I'm already maxed out on the money I want to spend on advice services.

The problem with free services is that their community is not as valuable. People who are paying put a lot more thought and effort into their contributions on the board.

At the end of the day, I think MF gets less of my money and I get less insight into an important and educational area of investing. Seems like a loss all around.

Jim
Not too thrilled with this development. Going to be very difficult to get help with stocks like ARCO, YONG, CGA,etc. Even though returns thus far unspectacular, I liked many of the companies in GG for their long term potential. I looked at MDP portfolio, and not for me at all!
No. of Recommendations: 2
The problem with free services is that their community is not as valuable. People who are paying put a lot more thought and effort into their contributions on the board.

Hi Jim,

I think this is often an issue, but it doesn't have to be that way! How vibrant we make the board and community attached to the free portfolio is up to us, so I hope you'll join me and help make it more lively. I also see an upside: As the board will be open to all we may be more likely to draw in a valuable contributor or two that would not have found us behind the Global Gains walled garden.

Since the free service will only be covering a subset of GG holdings, I'm sure some of the stocks in my portfolio will not get coverage, so I'm suddenly on my own with stocks that are very difficult to follow, find information on, and understand.

This is, unfortunately, what is going to happen. But any of the GG stocks could make their way into the online portfolio. That will have a lot to do with how attractive the buying opportunity is, but I hope to be making at least one buy a month and these are all ideas I already have familiarity with and can act fairly quickly on.

Best,

Nathan
I am not just "disappointed", I am LIVID. The only reason I had continued my memberhsip the past year was the VAIN HOPE that the two WORST investments I've ever made (YONG & CGA - both highly & repeatedly touted by GG month after many month) would continue being covered & miraculously make a comeback. Joke's on me.

I should have known - a FOOL & his/her money is soon parted.