No. of Recommendations: 5
I’m disappointed to hear the news today that Global Gains is shutting down. I think the Motley Fool is not taking a long-term approach with this service due to a few poor years where US stocks outperformed international stocks. I am looking at a 30 to 40 year investment time horizon and I see the growth and potential of these international stocks, especially in emerging markets, and the need to have a diversified, global portfolio.

I will try Nathan’s real money portfolio service as I am hoping he buys many of our favorite international stocks here at Global Gains (Nathan, we fully expect CGA and YONG to be bought with real money as this drama is far from over ;-).

Due to my busy work and personal schedule, I may have to sell many of GG stocks if they are not picked up in the new real money service as GG and these Boards are where I keep up with my coverage of the stocks. Even though I do not have much time to participate in many of the discussions on these Boards, I have enjoyed reading the posts, insightful analysis, and company updates.

All the best to Nathan and Nate and the rest of GG. I have enjoyed my 2.5 years with you all.

Regards,

Michael
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
Michael,

As Tracy mentioned in another post, this decision is not based on stock/investing performance of GG's recommendations. Over the years, and on average, our recommendations are trumping the MSCI. And I'm confident that Nate will continue this sharp legacy in his real-money portfolio on Fool.com. The appetite for paying for pure-play international stock advice over the last few years just hasn't been as robust as we would like. Even with our trips and loyal member base and winning stock ideas. Unfortunately we reached the conclusion that the type of insights and ideas that GG provides is better served on Fool.com, with a wider audience and different ways to distribute Nate's ideas and thoughts, rather than in only a paid membership service. GG has been a wonderful service for the Fool and its fellow members. And as you all know any thriving, growing business has to make some decisions like this. We think leveraging the real-money angle on Fool.com helps us stay relevant in international-based investing ideas and advice, but also allows us to continue growing our business in ways we think best set us up for multi-years of continued success in helping investors invest.

I know that Nate, Snake, Tracy and all the Fools who have worked on GG over the years (Bill, Tim, etc.) are empathetic to how you feel about GG moving on. We wish circumstances were different. We hope opening Nate to more flexibility and opportunities on Fool.com to invest in internationally-focused companies in a real-money portfolio will continue to help you build out your international sleeve. And Ron and his MDP team are doing some very cool things in that service for those who give them a shot to show you. You won't be disappointed.

Thank you for reading.

Andy
No. of Recommendations: 1
Michael

Thank you for your thoughts, and it has been my pleasure to work with you here at Global Gains - we're all in this together after all.

Nathan is currently taking a well deserved vacation in Japan, so he'll probably have thoughts and details for the boards when he wakes up, but I would like to say that as I still own YONG and CGA myself, I'll be keeping tabs and plan to pop up in his domain to share my thoughts with those interested in listening/debating.

I would also like to assure you that this decision was not made as a result of our return performance or the current market sentiment - we're still very much about long-term investment.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Andy,

Thank you for your response. I will definitely check out Nathan’s real money portfolio and stock coverage.

The appetite for paying for pure-play international stock advice over the last few years just hasn't been as robust as we would like.

I understand the Motley Fool is a business and has to make difficult decisions such as this one. The last few years, the “hot” money has been flowing to US stocks as the markets in China, Brazil, etc have severely lagged the market. My bet is that will not be the case in the long run due to the growth from these economies in comparison to the U.S. As these markets turn, and the “hot” money flows back into some of these international investments, there will be significant interest in providing a service such as Global Gains again. I could be wrong, but I would not be surprised if you open a new global investing service down the road and I will be eager to join.

Regards,

Michael
No. of Recommendations: 2
As these markets turn, and the “hot” money flows back into some of these international investments, there will be significant interest in providing a service such as Global Gains again. I could be wrong, but I would not be surprised if you open a new global investing service down the road and I will be eager to join.

Michael,

I certainly hope you are right, because that would be a wonderful position to be in.

Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case so far and I do believe the relative performance of international markets has had something to do with that, but not everything. Better international market performance would likely help some of those investors get over the hump of investing in companies that operate in different currencies and markets, but international investing is by definition a subset in the US where home bias is very strong.

I will have the freedom to dedicate a small portion of the portfolio to some individual names that are only international in a limited way. Hopefully that will broaden the audience and people will see the value of having a large portion of a portfolio international stocks as I plan to outperform in both buckets.

Best,

Nathan