Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi.
This is a thread about disappointment, or things that make us disappointed.

Example:
"I am disappointed at the complete lack of effort towards establishing new board leaders".

or

"I am disappointed I bought a few chunks of UPST in the 80s and 90s, and sold it around 100 while patting myself on the back."

Simple, fun, and easy to do. Feel free to discuss those things in life that disappoint you, or how you have disappointed the rest of us.

Doom
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm disappointed in myself that I sold a bunch of stocks while they were in the death throes of Covid by putting too much weight into the opinions of veteran investors on investing forums saying the end is nigh bail while you still can.
I did realize my mistake fairly quickly and get back in many of the same growth names and am up nicely but still disappointed because would have been a lot better off if I'd have just held through the whole mess. Harvested a lot of capital gains that I had to pay taxes on also.
Thanks.......
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hmmm...that does sound disappointing!

I could have done nothing but hold only TTD from Spring 2017 to Dec 2020, and would be quite a bit ahead. Instead I sold in Jan 2020.

Also owned NVDA in 2016/2017 and that would have been 20x if held.

Made a ton on both.
Coulda made more.

Doom
No. of Recommendations: 9
I don't post much. I'm not a great communicator and as I am in the UK much of my focus is on UK and European stocks anyway. Also as a value type investor I am not much into cloud type shares although I read in order to try and understand better.

Nonetheless I hope you will forgive a response to this albeit not really a reply.

I think you need to focus on the positive much more than the negative - I didn't used to think like this so much but approaches change.

Sure learn from things you have done wrong but get yourself in a positive mindset to move forward.

Instead of saying I should have held on to this or that I now try to think...I made x% from buying this even if I sold too soon (a perenial fault of mine) and I can always buy it back (something I now find much easier than I used to) or buy something else instead. It has made a positive contribution.

I look more and more for things (& more importantly people) who do so whilst trying to learn from what I might have done better which in large part is why I read this and one or two other boards.

Deucetoace
No. of Recommendations: 2
I think you need to focus on the positive much more than the negative - I didn't used to think like this so much but approaches change.

---

I am up 53% YTD and 7 months to go.
I have a great sense of humor and appreciate irony.

This thread was tongue in cheek.

As you were,
Doom
No. of Recommendations: 5
1) I sold JD that I bought in mid 2017 around $40's suffered the decline to $20 and at break-even sold it early 2020, to see the stock go all the way to $100.

2) Similar story with NVDA bought $200 in late 2019, suffered the decline and took a loss got out in 2020, to see the stock march relentlessly to $200. Especially this stinks very badly, my sale date marked the start of the rally.

3) At the absolute bottom of 2020 March, I held over $1.5 M in cash and bought 10 google shares. Yeap 10 shares. For a long time I thought world is going to end. The hallmark of that period is I bought lots of companies, to turn around and sell at 10%, 15%, 20% gains. I was so scared. Determined to maintain my cash level and even raised more cash. At least I still own those 10 google shares, twice I bought AMZN at $1600, to turn around sell it for 10% gains.

I have many such absolutely horror stories.
No. of Recommendations: 6
I'm disappointed I didn't buy multiple stocks over the years because they looked too expensive; or sold out after a quick double or less, when they would go on go 10x or more- CRM, XTO (20 yrs ago), NFLX.

I'm learning. Conversely, I watched nvda go from 240 to like 100 3-4 years ago, and was itchy to sell TSLA two years ago, and recently itching to sell TWOU. some of these bounced back really well. Thankfully I'm 38 with 20 years of investing under my belt and hopefully finally have learned.

I'm disappointed English mastiffs don't live forever. Ours is 9, and quite grey. We love him nonetheless, and he's seemingly healthy now, but still, he's getting old.