Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Rant.

I'm in the process of redoing my bedroom.

I used my birthday money and saved my mad money to buy a chocolate brown leather bed. I wanted to do my bedroom in the chocolate brown and a baby blue shade.

I looked locally and didn't really see anything that caught my eye. So I went online to ebay. I found this BEAUTIFUL blue fabric that had all the colors in it that I needed. It was PERFECT!!!! Until I received the material in the mail today.

You can not BELIEVE how UGLY this fabric is. The color is NO WHERE EVEN CLOSE to what you see on the monitor. I had checked the color on several monitors. The sellers said that the colors were true and even described them.

Well, the colors they described are NOT what I received. The colors are not true to what is shown on the several monitors.

This seller has been selling since 2001 and has ~10,000 sales with an almost perfect rating and of course they don't accept returns for refunds.

I feel so cheated.

I'm going to contact them but I hold out little hope.

Rant over.

Stockbuyer2
Print the post Back To Top
Do you have any fabric wholesalers within reasonably close distance, which might be part of a special day trip? I know how disappointing it is to think you are going to be able to start on a project and then to be thwarted by poor color matches!

I hope you are able to find a solution with the seller. Let us know how it goes.

StB.
Any update on this? I feel so bad for you.

One thing you might try is to take a picture of the fabric and compare that picture to the one online. Try to match the lighting conditions, etc. If you can't get the shades even close no matter what you try, send a picture you take to the seller and to help illustrate the difference.

Good luck.

PS I'm lucky enough to live someplace with many great fabric places, including some with awesome bargains. If you want me to do a little shopping and send you some swatches, let me know.
"Any update on this?"

So far....

I called yesterday and they gave me a choice to keep the fabric, get a store credit or pay a 30% restocking fee.

I agreed to get a different fabric, not one I really wanted, but at least it would be ok even if off several shades off. I also stated that I had already paid $12 for shipping and that since they misrepresented the colors so badly that they should pay for shipping this fabric back and the new fabric to me.

They said, no way.

I've emailed them again and said that I want a full refund including my shipping to send this fabric back. Haven't heard back from them.

"One thing you might try is to take a picture of the fabric and compare that picture to the one online. Try to match the lighting conditions, etc. If you can't get the shades even close no matter what you try, send a picture you take to the seller and to help illustrate the difference."

This is a GREAT idea, and I did take your suggestion and take a picture of the fabric. My picture was accurate to the fabric.

They contend that dye lots differ, which I agreed that they do, but they already had the fabric on hand for the photo, it was a remnant piece.

I just don't see how a beautiful navy blue with baby blue became an ugly charcoal gray with light gray and they didn't notice. The description even says blue. My daughter looked at it and her first thought was that she was looking at the reverse side of the fabric.

I also checked the picture on SEVERAL different computers and the colors on the pictures are always pretty close. Even changing the brightness, contrast, etc doesn't make that big of a difference.

I have also bought other fabrics online and they have always been close enough to what the pictures show to what you get.

"I'm lucky enough to live someplace with many great fabric places, including some with awesome bargains. If you want me to do a little shopping and send you some swatches, let me know."

Let me look around here first.

I don't really need alot of material, just enough to make two king size shams. I ended up with 5 1/2 yards of this fabric because it was a remnant, which was more than I needed, but the fabric was perfect. My husband didn't want anything with flowers on it this time.

I would have just bought ready made shams but there doesn't seem to be much choice of blues but there are alot of maroon/burgandy which I'm trying to get away from.

Stockbuyer2
Another update.....

I got another rather nasty email from this company. They said that they had looked on 5 computers and they were all the same.

So my thoughts are, well I'm comparing their picture to the original fabric. They're not.

We cannot agree so I guess my next step is to contact Paypal, Ebay and/or my credit card company.

My youngest son is going to take a freeze shot?, is that the correct term, that will put the original picture and the picture we took side by side to email to these companies. Hopefully someone will be able to help me with this.

Stockbuyer2
Here is a link to photos of the fabric. The fabric was advertised as blue.

My picture was taken under 4 flourescent lights bulbs plus a flash on the camera. The sellers picture is the one listed under Ebay photo.

Also, under normal lighting, without all the extra light, the fabric is alot darker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10653907@N03/?saved=1

Stockbuyer2
I'm sure you've already done this, but be sure to mention to them that before purchasing you viewed the picture on several monitors and also found the color to be similar on monitors. That even so from buying fabric online before you knew that their might be a slight color variance. Assure them that this is not slight.

Is there any chance they sent you a remnant from the same pattern but a different color by accident? Have you double checked the amount of fabric you got to see if it matches the posting?

I'm thinking positive thoughts that they'll resolve this to your satisfaction.
I'm sorry, I'm totally distracted by the cute dogs!

It does seem fairly different. I would suggest getting a photo that's roughly the same distance from the fabric as the ebay one as well. Send them both.
"I'm sorry, I'm totally distracted by the cute dogs!"

Thanks.

"It does seem fairly different. I would suggest getting a photo that's roughly the same distance from the fabric as the ebay one as well. Send them both."

To get the fabric to be as light as it is I had to use my flash on the camera plus put the fabric under four flourscent light bulbs. Like I said, it's really alot darker than even my picture on here looks. The fabric looks almost black in person.

As to your earlier post, when I first contacted them I asked them if they had sent me the wrong fabric, but was assured that they hadn't.

I'm not really sure just how they got the fabric to look so blue unless it really was a different piece. I'll have to get someone to help me measure it tomorrow to see if it is the correct yardage.

Stockbuyer2
The one on the left I would call blue and yellow. The one on the right 'not blue and yellow'.

Have you ever gone to Interior Alternatives on Inwood? I have bought quite a bit of fabric from there for curtains. Also there are some fabric warehouses on Harry Hines.

electrasmom
On my monitor, the fabric looks grey (in both shots - the ebay shot and yours). I think buying fabric online is always a bit of a crapshoot. I don't think I'd be willing to buy fabric on ebay -- I do buy fabrics from some online shops, but I guess I always assume the colors are going to be iffy to tell from the monitor pics. Hope you're able to make what you want to make with fabric you like!
"Have you ever gone to Interior Alternatives on Inwood? I have bought quite a bit of fabric from there for curtains. Also there are some fabric warehouses on Harry Hines."

No, I haven't been there. I think I'll get my daughter to go with me this weekend.

Maybe I can bribe her with a lunch at Mama and Daughters to go to Harry Hines with me. LOL!!!

Stockbuyer2
"On my monitor, the fabric looks grey (in both shots - the ebay shot and yours). I think buying fabric online is always a bit of a crapshoot. I don't think I'd be willing to buy fabric on ebay -- I do buy fabrics from some online shops, but I guess I always assume the colors are going to be iffy to tell from the monitor pics. Hope you're able to make what you want to make with fabric you like! "

I don't usually buy material from Ebay either, and trust me, won't ever again.

Usually I end up finding something when I'm doing to Fab Shop Hop or when I look through and order if I win one of the ten dollar prizes.

Stockbuyer2
"Also, under normal lighting, without all the extra light, the fabric is alot darker."

Ok, here's a picture under normal lighting. I also tried to get the same distance as the original Ebay photo.

This material is also, not laying flat, table height, under the four flourscent lights as my other picture is.

This picture is taken in a room with recessed flourscent lighting on, two floor to ceiling windows open, plus the light from the windows in the front door.

Stockbuyer2
Maybe I can bribe her with a lunch at Mama and Daughters to go to Harry Hines with me. LOL!!!

Sounds like a really good plan!!

electrasmom
No. of Recommendations: 1
Here is a link to photos of the fabric. The fabric was advertised as blue.

My picture was taken under 4 flourescent lights bulbs plus a flash on the camera. The sellers picture is the one listed under Ebay photo.

Also, under normal lighting, without all the extra light, the fabric is alot darker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10653907@N03/?saved=1

Wow!! I know exactly what happened. They retouched the photo and raised the Light/Dark setting too high.
Bad. I've bought and sold a lot of fabric on ebay and usually had great experiences, but I had one like that. The seller advertised the fabric as "lime green", and the picture was lime green and when I go the fabric, it was fluorescent yellow. It was not close enough to use in anything and I think I still have the fabric. He also told me it was lime green when I complained.

Unfortunately, when you meet up with jerks like that, they usually win. I would give them bad feedback. Unless your a seller, it really doesn't matter if they leave you a retaliatory feedback, and enough bad FBs and their customers will go away.
I saw it happen to a woman that wasn't doing right by her customers.
Kathleen
I don't usually buy material from Ebay either, and trust me, won't ever again.

Please, PLEASE don't take this person as indicative of the fabric sellers on eBay. Like I said, I've bought and sold fabric on eBay a lot and rarely had a problem (though I did have one leave me a negative because she bought a quilt top center-piece and complained that it wasn't already quilted).

Keep in mind, eBay is a market place - not a store. The stores are the individual sellers. If you don't like a B&M fabric store, you don't stop buying fabric from ALL B&M stores because of that one.
Anyway, I hope things go better.
Kathleen
P.S. I think I do have a fabric quite similar to the photo you thought would look like. It's yours if you want to cover the shipping.
"Please, PLEASE don't take this person as indicative of the fabric sellers on eBay. Like I said, I've bought and sold fabric on eBay a lot and rarely had a problem (though I did have one leave me a negative because she bought a quilt top center-piece and complained that it wasn't already quilted)."

I looked up on Ebay to see what my score was. I've bought 85 items since 2000, and I have 1 negative. My daughter bought some work clothes and one seller sent a stained item but had stated that the item wasn't stained. She was EXTREMELY angry that we wanted a refund. She was pretty much NUTS.

I buy stuff from Ebay, Craigslist, Amazon, Fab Shop Hop vendors and most are always extremely nice, but there are always those few .......if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I probably will break down and buy again. For me, I now have to have someone drive me to the fabric store, lift down and carry the bolts of fabric I want to the cutting table unless they're almost empty. Being able to look and pick out the fabric and have it shipped really works well for me. Plus, like I said, I've never had material this far off in color. Other times the color difference hasn't been enough to really matter.

"P.S. I think I do have a fabric quite similar to the photo you thought would look like. It's yours if you want to cover the shipping."

Thanks. I think I'm going to try to find the store electrasmom told me about. My kids and I are going to try to see the J. M. W. Turner exhibit next Friday and are going that way into Dallas. I'll let you know if I don't find anything.

Stockbuyer2
FYI: "Lime green" apparently means "Safety green" which is really that fluorescent yellow that the utility workers wear. I found this out when I was looking at cell phones and saw one advertised as being "lime". I was thinking "Oooh! A bright green phone!" It was DEFINITELY yellow, like Gary's safety vest.
If you don't mind me asking....how much did you pay and how much fabric is there? Because I kind of like the fabric.....and that could solve your problem.....
"If you don't mind me asking....how much did you pay and how much fabric is there? Because I kind of like the fabric.....and that could solve your problem....."

The material is 54" wide and 5 1/8 yards. I paid $40 for the fabric and $12 for the shipping.

I have disputed with Paypal and am still waiting to hear from them.

What color is it on your monitor?

Stockbuyer2
It's a dark gray - like steel-y gray. Our bedroom is a kind of gray-ish ice blue and dark gray (though it could be dark brown or dark olive green in the bedspread), and I'm looking for a second look for our bedroom.

But I'd have to run a purchase that large by Gary, since it's over my monthly project budget. He's likely to say no, since he likes our bedroom the way that it is, and I have < mumble > projects already in my queue. :)

I hope your dispute goes well for you.