Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
A hearty thank you to all the wonderful Dumpster Diver and LBYM posters who suggested ways to dispose of homeless but usable books!

I have stepped up my efforts to sell books on half.com and Amazon.com. I check each "new" dumpster-dived book to see if it is worth my while to try to sell. If there are more than 50 copies and the lowest price is 75¢ or less, I put the book aside to be donated. (But first I check the half.com listing to make sure that its inventory look-up is correct -- occasionally it is not.) If not, then I price the book competitively to sell. I've also checked my existing inventory, repricing and setting books aside as necessary. Because of these efforts, I've sold four books in the past week! :-)

My first donation preference just now is to Operation Paperback, which funnels books to servicemembers overseas. (Thank you for the idea, Fallout2Queen and walbet!) I'm an Army brat and I know how valuable and unappreciated our servicemembers are, so I'd like to support them. Books shipped to servicemembers in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia have various restrictions -- can't show a woman's body between neck and knees, can't be criticial of Islam, etc. Paperbacks are cheaper to ship. So I separate all the hardbacks from paperbacks, and then I separate the Islam-neutral books from the Islam-unfriendly ones. I have boxed up a bunch of books and have written to Operation Paperback; they'll send me addresses soon, I hope.

So that leaves all my hardbacks. They are heavy and more expensive to ship. I'm going to call my local YMCA and see what they say. Thank you for this idea, cfbandit!

Many other wonderful ideas were suggested. I was delighted to find that there are so many outlets for used books! I am putting them all here, à la LQueiros, so that others will be able to see all these donation options at once.

BTW, the only reason I'm not investigating more of these options for the books I currently have is that I have enough to do without chasing all around town and doling out five books here and five books there. As long as I can find homes for all these books, I'll be happy. I hope others will use this post to cover some of the other donation options.

Home for senior citizens -- thanks to carsonb and jesever.

American Association of University Women, for their book sales -- thanks to thinx2much.

Reading programs -- thanks to cashcrop.

Prisons -- thanks to beccapooka (and congrats on the new baby, Rebecca!) and omni100.

Veterans Administration hospitals -- thanks to tashak2.

Nursing homes and hospitals -- thanks to beccapooka the dumpster-diver again, SamGribley, jesever, and lovingrose.

Project Inkslinger -- thanks to omni100.

Group homes -- thanks to omni100 again, who has lots of good ideas!

The Book Thing -- thanks to LauryH.

Shelters (for the homeless or battered women) -- thanks to beccapooka and lovingrose again, as well as to the estimable LQueiros!

Thrift stores -- thanks to tashak2 again!

Laundromat book swap -- thanks to GlowWyrm.

beccapooka and jesever also suggested that I ask a local church for ideas. Providentially, the head of Catholic Charities celebrated Mass the Sunday after she posted, and I buttonholed him. He suggested prison ministries and gave me a phone number. So I have that option as well. Thanks again, Rebecca and Janet!

Lots of people suggested I get involved in my local public library system and change it from within to funnel discarded books to charities automatically or to create "free" tables. Those are excellent ideas, but I don't have the energy to do that.

Thanks so much for all the great ideas, guys! This is what the Fool does best -- what a terrific synergy we have here!

phantomdiver
proud of her community
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.