No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife filed for bankruptcy in 1996, with 60% of her debt being a student loan. In 1998, a tax refund was taken by the USA Group, associated with Sallie Mae, but later returned when she mailed them proof that the student loan was included in the bankruptcy.

However, in 1999, they kept a tax refund saying student loans could no longer be discharged. And of course, OUR $600 check from last summer.

Question 1, I believe I can file as an injured spouse to recoup my $300 with my tax filing. Any views on that?

Question 2, Didn't the student loan rules change in 1998? If so, shouldn't her laon be discharged?

Question 3, Should I file separate tax returns in the future to avoid the problem in question 1.

Thanks in advance...I searched the board from post 1 and only saw that student loans are very difficult to get discharged. My problem is that the bankruptcy court did list it as dischargable.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.