No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm new to this Fool thing so I'm trying to cross post an entry in both Best Travel Spots/Tips and Travel. Hope this isn't annoying...

--------------------------------------------------

Hello all,

Oooo, this is my second post!

I wanted to ask all the Fools out there their advice/experience with discount travel websites. My bookclub is planning a trip to NYC (NEW YORK CITY!) and have entrusted me to book everything. I've found a great deal for us on hotwire.com but I wanna hear from folks who have used it (or similar sites) if they had good, bad, or indifferent stories.

Thanks in advance!

--Mary in Tallahassee (TALLAHASSEE!?)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have used both hotwire and priceline for cars and hotels. I have had good experiences with both. We used hotwire for at least one plane ticket for my daughter because her time was fleible and nothing was available for a reasonable price otherwise. I tend toward hotwire. I've checked hotwire for car rentals and then underbid that at priceline and ended up even cheaper.

I usually use hotwire for hotels except that for my husband's trip to St Louis next week, the hotel I want wasn't showing up(you can kind of get to know which is which after using it for the same area a couple of times). I went to priceline, bid what I normally get it for in the area the hotel is located and ended up with what I wanted at the price I wanted.

Flip side. I'm going to OKC next week but everything is not nailed down(it's for a house closing). My hotel and car are booked directly with the companies and are cancelable.

Do not use either hotwire or priceline if you think you will need to change anything - it's not part of the deal

rad
No. of Recommendations: 4
Hey Mary,

I've done a LOT of business with Hotwire over the past couple of years and highly recommend it. I have always had decent flight times -- no really awful
ones -- and have never had a problem with the bookings at all.

Last winter I booked my parents, husband and I to London in May thru Hotwire and it was great. I know that most of the people around us had paid at least
$200 more than we did for our seats.

Have had great luck w/hotels, as well, and always feel I'm getting a good amount of info about the property (except of course the exact name and
location) before I book.

I've done some Priceline action, too, just for hotels and rental cars (unbeatable),
but Hotwire always feels safer to me. An illusion, I'm sure!

I also recommend you check out a groovy bulletin board type site (free) called
bid-for-travel.com (I think). Folks sent in the accepted prices/places/deals
they've gotten on Priceline and Hotwire so you can see what the going rates
are. This has saved me a bundle! They even have a staff member who will
help you with bidding strategies, should you choose to try Priceline.

OK -- have fun! And read on.... my book group salutes your book group....

Janis
Janis,
Did you mean www.bidontravel.com?
I couldn't find bid-for-travel.com.

Gayle
never tried priceline or hotwire, but thinking about it
Thanks Junebug! Now I'm off to the Fools in New York board for some more nifty ideas!
Thanks Junebug! Now I'm off to the Fools in New York board for some more nifty ideas!

Sorry you didn't find my post useful.

rad
Hi again,

I checked the site I had mentioned -- it's actually www.biddingfortravel.com --
sorry for the goof!

Anyway, hope it may be helpful for fellow travellers.