Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Gas wasn't that exciting for me since I was already using the Citi Dividend card. But this looks interesting.

- Megan

http://www.discovercard.com/discover/data/cashback/cbbpromotion/college.shtml?icmpgn=200606_dc_bn_hk_napnap_rwd_nap_enr_1

Get set for fall and get 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $2,000 in purchases from July 1 through September 30, 2006 on:

Tuition
Classes from preschool to college

Apparel
Gap
Kohl's
Marshalls®
T.J.Maxx®
Famous Footwear™
Office/Home
Dell™
Office Depot®
OfficeMax®
Staples
Linens 'n Things®
Pier 1 Imports®

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for posting ! Correct me if I'm wrong but if my kid's school charges 2.75% as a fee, this is a worthwhile way to pay $2K on my Discover and $2K on my husband's. I believe the fall bill will be due July 15.

rad
Interesting, I may have to look at my school's credit card policy again. Last time I looked, they charged a fee for using a credit card but it might work out if I can get 5% back.

The other stuff, I'm not so excited about.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Correct me if I'm wrong but if my kid's school charges 2.75% as a fee, this is a worthwhile way to pay $2K on my Discover and $2K on my husband's. I believe the fall bill will be due July 15.

I dunno how the school handles the fee. Maybe $1946.48 (plus the $53.52 of fee)? It looks to me to still be almost $100 cash back.

(Unless you're likely to use some of the other vendors in that category this summer. Personally I'll probably spend $30-$50 at officemax or staples and that will be about it.)

- Megan
I had a heck of a time re-finding this(it was a matter of remembering which board) but I do need to say a huge thank you for the calcs - one of the most helpful things amnyone has done for me lately and I really appreciate it.

I just charged on one of the Discover cards - the bill is due 7/15 and I wanted to see how one of them would go through before doing the other. I'm also trying to decide how to pay the rest of the bill - I may test out the "run it through the 529" as well this time. The Discover tactic gives me an extra month to run that piece through so I may be able to manage it. (No, I don't have all the money for Musicman lying in wait - I figured by the time we got done to the last 3 years, it wouldn't be much of a problem to gather it up and it isn't.) I am planning to clear out and close the Coverdell this time as well.

rad
P.S. I can't tell you what a thrill it is to start reducing the overall number of accounts.
You're welcome.

I may test out the "run it through the 529" as well this time.

This is -- deposit the cash into the 529 plan for the state tax deduction, then withdraw it to pay the bill?

I can't tell you what a thrill it is to start reducing the overall number of accounts.
I can imagine! Long time until I'm going to be there, though.

- Megan
This is -- deposit the cash into the 529 plan for the state tax deduction, then withdraw it to pay the bill?

It was only part of the money that I withdrew but it didn't seem to be a problem. The experience confirmed my opinion of Vanguard customer service, however. There was a lag and when I called, they couldn't tell me where the money was in the process. Apparently it left my account Thursday and showed up in my checking account on Monday. This would be all electronic. Hope the money was someplace nice for the weekend.:)

I'll probably do the same thing as time goes by just because there's not much reason not to and while there's still some UGMA money, it's nowhere near enough for the next 2.5 years.

rad