No. of Recommendations: 1
When Sam's Club started taking MasterCard again, I converted my Discover to a Discover Gas Card (now called a Discover Open Road Card). When I signed up, the deal was 5% back on gas and auto repairs at several places I don't want to use, i.e. 5% back on gas. There was a limit of $1200 of 5% purchases per year.

If I had stayed home, I might or might not have put $1200 of gas on the Discover in a card year. That's a moot point, because I took a driving vacation last week. I bought enough gas that when I came home, I started a spreadsheet to track the Discover purchases and see when I would run out of the $1200.

Lo and behold, one of the items in my held mail was a Discover change in terms and conditions. In addition to no longer counting Warehouse (i.e., Sam's Club) and 5% purchases towards the tiers for getting more than 0.25% cash back, the limit on the 5% for gas is redefined as $100 per billing cycle. For reference, my four most recent billing cycles had gas purchases of $101.27, $90.22, $122.51, and $102.39. For the current bill cycle, there's $300+ and counting due to my trip last week.

Fortunately, the changes don't take effect until October 1. That means I can take another trip next month, use up most of the $1200 for the current card year, and just put one tank a month on Discover until I hit $1200. I will then have several months to contemplate what to do about this.

Another piece of the fine print tells me that as of November 1, any cash back earned will be forfeited if my account is inactive for 18 months (up from 36 months). Hmm. Put this together with Discover's requirement that cash back can only be redeemed in even $20.00 amounts, and it's likely that I give up some change if I get mad at the complexity and stop using the card. Let me think about this.

Option 1: Try to milk the full $60 per year out of the 5% back. This would mean tracking the charges to the penny, ending a transaction on a partial fill of the gas tank when the month got to $100, and continuing the tank with a purchase on Citi MasterCard. Then there's the risk that one of the transactions is delayed and hits the wrong bill cycle. I don't think I'm willing to go to that much work.

Option 2: Track the cash back I've earned. Try to make it come out as close to $20 as possible, then stop using Discover. This is attractive, because I get every last penny on the table then no longer have to jump through the ever-changing hoops.

Option 3: Just use Discover for one or two tanks of gas per month. When a large fill would break $100, quit using Discover until the next month. This is a bit more work tracking than I like, but keeps the card active.

Option 4: Pick a date (October 1 is sounding possible) when Discover's terms become so complex that I'm no longer willing to wade through them. Take the easy 1% back from Citi MasterCard instead of trying to wade through the Discover complexities to avoid the 0.25% back.

I'm leaning towards Option 2 or Option 4, but I'll spend some time thinking about it. Discover seems to be motivated by a desired to change terms so that the Discover Get More card means Discover gets more and its customers get less. In the grand scheme of things, I think there's other complex stuff I could spend my time on that would pay better than $60 per year back from Discover.

I understand that Discover probably loses money on customers like me who only use the Open Road card for 5% purchases. But since Discover seems disinclined to offer competitive cash back other than as temporary gimmicks, they aren't motivating me to become a profitable customer for them.

No hard feelings, but perhaps it's time to look for a different cash back card to back up Citi.

Patzer
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.