Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
There's a couple of conferences this year that have interesting sounding content.

I'd have to travel, which means I'd have to get approval for the cost ($1k if I book now and eat only the provided food, probably more like $1500 each).

When I attend something locally I at best feel like I get, I don't know, 25% of the value for my time/money?

Additional wrinkle: I hate people, so any kind of "but you get to network!" benefits are completely and totally lost on me. I want to attend and learn things, everyone there is welcome to forget we ever met.

For those that attend these types of conferences on the regular - are they worth (in general) the business capital I'd have to spend to get approval, plus the BS of traveling?

impolite
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Imp,
I go to 1 or 2 per year for my job. But, I usually only go as a presenter or moderator, not just an attendee. They can be valuable, but for me, the value is in the connections with people or if I am learning a brand new topic.

I am actually in the middle of attending a local conference where I was a presenter and moderator. This was valuable because of the connections I made with some of the other attendees. We have set up additional meetings in the near future to coordinate resources that will help both parties.

I have also attended sessions on topics I was not very familiar to quickly update myself on what is the current state of the art for that particular topic. What research people are presenting now is what will be published in the near future. In particular, I find it interesting when the researchers talk about their future plans and what questions their research left open. This is sometimes what will be the mid term future.

c
No. of Recommendations: 4
Find someone willing to send you bootleg videos of the conference for $200/day.

- You'll save money

- You get to stay home

- You don't have to talk to anyone

CJ <---helpful
No. of Recommendations: 0
For those that attend these types of conferences on the regular - are they worth (in general) the business capital I'd have to spend to get approval, plus the BS of traveling?

Sometimes. I just finished one that I get paid to attend every year. For this one, I mostly enjoy reconnecting with a few people. Every year I end up exhausted from being around so many people even for just a few days.

In the long run, earlier in my life going to the regional and/or national conferences for my profession was pretty directly related to me moving into consulting on my own midlife.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I always liked conferences with travel. Even though I don't like being around people as a rule, knowing that these people got what I did for a living and I wouldn't be interacting with them after the conference made it easy to brainstorm and learn. I felt I could learn better without the jangling day-to-day work demands, phone calls, emergencies.

Also got decent swag--still using some of those tote bags :-)

cm
No. of Recommendations: 2
Thank you all for replying.

It sounds like the consensus is I might or might not get usable knowledge from the venture, and the most payoff is in the networking (of which I'm currently not interested, though RAD brings up a good point about future use).

I think I'll skip them this year, and see what next year brings.

impolite