Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 45
I am a patient person. For the last three weeks I've seen the following message on my screen when logging into the Fool

"We're sorry, but portfolio information on My Fool is temporarily unavailable as we complete the transition of our quotes, data, and portfolio system. Please click here to view your portfolio, or try our other Foolish Features, such as..."

My patience was finally exhausted. I decided to figure out what was going on.

So, I've spent the last hour reading this message board. I must say I am shocked and appalled by the cavalier attitude with which TMF has dealt with the transition. The message above is a classic example; the implication clearly is that the situation will be remedied by TMF soon. This is obviously not the case. How difficult would it have been to CHANGE the message? Five minutes work? Maybe less?

When the "My Portfolio" data stopped being provided, I stopped coming to site a couple of times a day. As a result of this, I stopped reading the message boards and posting regularly. Before this cock-up of a transition, TMF was one of my top two or three sites, right up there with Hotmail and CNN. This is no longer the case.

The posts in this board make clear that the "improved" portfolio tool is obviously not worth the time to put new data into. Without a meaningful way of comparing portfolio returns to benchmarks, I'll do better tracking my returns on my version of Quicken. I won't be stopping in to check out my returns. I won't be popping over to my favorite boards. I'm sure I am not alone in this.

To those who say this service is free, bullshit. I have an economy of time, as well as money. The behaviour of this company in managing the transition of its most important service shows that they do not give a damn about their users.

Without users choosing to spend time on this service, as a first and most important requirement, TMF is doomed. Why would users continue to spend their valuable time here? I suspect when the postmortem for TMF is carried out, this foolish portfolio transition will turn out to be the final kick that sent a once vibrant company over the edge.

I believed in the Fool. I've contributed to the Fool. I thought about applying to work for the Fool.

If I could right now, I would turn in my gold star in disgust at what has become of the Fool.

George Purcell

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.