No. of Recommendations: 15
Watch this veteran wipe tears away.

https://twitter.com/dcpoll/status/1086701202572828672
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 12
I can only hope, when these boys, too, grow old and weary and their allotted days on this earth are diminishing with astonishing speed, that they will look back on these acts -- and on the vile beliefs which informed these acts -- and feel deep, deep shame.

And one rather hopes, that in the interim, they will have learned better, will have come to understand more about the human condition, about the value of every life and the humility to value the lives of all equally -- and perhaps have done acts to in some manner counter-balance this indecent, reprehensible cruelty -- have accomplished some good in this world to make up for the evil which, today at least, lives inside them.

They're young. One hopes they will change.

Beyond disheartening. Heartbreaking.

SLL
No. of Recommendations: 2
Laura Keener, of the diocese, released the following statement:

"We condemn the actions of the Covington Catholic High School students towards Nathan Phillips specifically, and Native Americans in general, Jan. 18, after the March for Life, in Washington, D.C. We extend our deepest apologies to Mr. Phillips. This behavior is opposed to the Church’s teachings on the dignity and respect of the human person.

"The matter is being investigated and we will take appropriate action, up to and including expulsion.We know this incident also has tainted the entire witness of the March for Life and express our most sincere apologies to all those who attended the March and all those who support the pro-life movement."

Cov Cath investigates incident involving students at Native American rally

https://www.wlwt.com/article/cov-cath-investigates-students-...

Note to TM*: The above statement was a public release intended for distribution.
No. of Recommendations: 15
So a bunch of privileged white kids themselves Catholics surround and intimidate an elder Native American Indian, chanting “build a wall” and mocking his prayer chanting. Trump is quite the role model.

Reminds me of the Nazi youth from pre World War 2.

The ignorance of these kids and the irony of their chant. Our forefathers came into this land and stole the land away from this elders ancestors and now these kids mock him. They should be apologizing instead for what their forefathers did.

I’m glad to read that the school administration in Kentucky, where these kids go to school, is looking seriously into this and most likely there will be suspensions and expulsions.

I thought a younger generation would cure the divide, the hatred, the prejudice and instead embrace diversity in the future, but apparently these kids are going to oppose that message.

To think that they repeat the slogans of Trump and wear his name across their chests with pride and at the same time show the true meaning of the Trump doctrine is scary stuff.

What this elder could teach these kids that would make them such better human beings, yet they mock him.

Disturbing stuff. I have to say if I was there though I wouldn’t have been as peaceful as that elder.
I think I wrongly would have knocked that punk kid out.

Chris
No. of Recommendations: 1
Btw. Here’s more to the story and video of the kids surrounding and taunting him.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/19/us/teens-mock-native-elder-tr...

Chris
No. of Recommendations: 5
Trumpers are so disgusting...just like their cult leader.
No. of Recommendations: 0
We should say shame on them, but unfortunately, they appear to have no shame. This 'groupthink' is dangerous and would-be dictators use it very effectively.
"We should say shame on them, but unfortunately, they appear to have no shame. This 'groupthink' is dangerous and would-be dictator"

Kentucky. Mitch McConnell country.
No. of Recommendations: 6
1) Brings to mind the brown shirted gangs that roamed the streets of Vienna in the 1930s beating up defenseless people.

2) If reports are correct, the chaperones (parents and school personnel) stood by and did nothing.

This disgusting event is consistent with the following report:

snip....After the 2016 presidential election, teachers around the country reported they were seeing increased name-calling and bullying in their classrooms. Now, research shows that those stories — at least in one state — are confirmed by student surveys.

Francis Huang of the University of Missouri and Dewey Cornell of the University of Virginia used data from a school climate survey taken by over 150,000 students across Virginia. They compared student responses to questions about bullying and teasing from 2015 and 2017. Their findings were published Wednesday in Educational Researcher, a peer-reviewed journal of the American Educational Research Association.

In the 2017 responses, Huang and Cornell found higher rates of bullying and certain types of teasing in areas where voters favored Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election."

https://woub.org/2019/01/09/virginia-study-finds-increased-s...

Red hats = white hoods and brown shirts.
Sorry. I have BIRD feeders. Can't get behind a tale of squirrel woe.

Ken
They're all living creatures, Ken. How would you like to be outdoors in 4-degree weather with no protection?
"They're all living creatures, Ken."

Did I post something that suggested to you I am a vegan? I do not go out of my way to try to harm squirrels (unlike say rats, mice, fleas or other vermin), and as long as they leave my house and bird feeders alone I'm cool with them.

"How would you like to be outdoors in 4-degree weather with no protection?"

I wouldn't, but your squirrel just has to "man up" as that's the lot in life it drew. I guess you could try to knit it a little sweater but I doubt the critter would be all that grateful.

Ken
Wow, I've been reading the fool boards since their inception and always thought you were rather a nice person. "Fooled" me.
Seriously? Your opinion is colored by my dislike of squirrels raiding my bird feeders?

Seems a strange criteria to me.

Ken
No. of Recommendations: 3
No, by your flippant, callous disregard of the suffering of a defenseless mammal.
Defenseless mammals have terrible things happen to them every day. Ever watch any Animal Planet?

And yes there are many human jerks that do bad things to good animals. So? Your solution?

I'll save my sense of outrage for what the jerk in The Oval and his GOP cohorts are doing to all of us (pets and wildlife included).

Still don't care that much about squirrels. Like pigeons are rats with wings, squirrels are rats with cute bushy tails and can do serious damage to houses once they find a way in.

Ken
Like pigeons are rats with wings, squirrels are rats with cute bushy tails and can do serious damage to houses once they find a way in.

You're close.. Sex in the City star Sarah Jessica Parker said 'squirrels are just rats with cute clothes' (or something close to that.

That said, as a hunter/fisherman, tormenting any living thing for no purpose suggests a cruel hole in a person's head.

If you need to kill/control squirrels, rats, whatever, do it fast and humanely.

ok..had to look it up... she said... "A squirrel is just a rat with a cuter outfit!"
" No, by your flippant, callous disregard of the suffering of a defenseless mammal."

Just about every fall the old black bear comes down and eats all the apples that fall on the ground. This year he got himself up one of the trees and his weight ripped half of it down.

Now I could call the county trapper and with his dogs hunt the old fellow down and kill him.

But I can't do it.

Bear gotta eat to.
I'm not advocating torturing squirrels. Just can't get too excited about the plight of one sick one.

Ken
"Just about every fall the old black bear comes down and eats all the apples that fall on the ground. This year he got himself up one of the trees and his weight ripped half of it down.
Now I could call the county trapper and with his dogs hunt the old fellow down and kill him.
But I can't do it.
Bear gotta eat to."

Not a problem in Brooklyn - happily. And we still have bear hunting seasons IIRC in NYS and New Jersey and elsewhere.

The wild pests in my part of Brooklyn are the rodents, raccoons, and the occasional bats and possums. Many feral cats and still some feral dogs as well. Oh and there are still seemingly feral homo sapiens here and there throughout NYC too.

Ken
I suppose y'all have seen the photos of free-divers swimming alongside a ginormous white shark off Haleiwa.... gateway to the north shore of Oahu.

She's run the gauntlet of long lines, gill nets, and all sorts of baited traps, to attain her phenomenal size.

Makes me sick to think some trophy seeker would seek to harm her, even though I have the occasional thrilling run-ins with pups from gals like her..

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/18/686794134/video-giant-great-w...
It's not that Ken isn't a nice person, it's just he's becoming more curmudgeonly, albeit in a loveable way to me at least, as he gets older.

Donna