Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I curious if anyone else can't find anything to buy. I honestly don't find anything attractive lately. Falling knives seem to be well deserved, and any company executing well is valued beyond generously for it. I'm not about to turn to gold or bitcoins, but increasing park funds in 2.3% 3 month CDs has been a default.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Cloud computing and SaaS have so changed the value multiples that everything else seems expensive by comparison.

Denny Schlesinger
Berkshire Hathaway. Blind faith required.
Hey there !

Berkshire Hathaway is my default "pocket" for any "undesignated" funds.

Rich (haywool) quite long BRK ... sitting on a double
I am looking at ATVI at the moment. Down 50% from highs.
Gaming is only going to grow and I think there is potential to monetize their titles beyond the games themselves, e.g. merchandise, movies, etc.

They did split with the developer of Destiny - but they didn't have the full rights to that title. So I think focusing on the products that they can fully leverage themselves is the right move, even if it impacts short-term revenues.
Hey Rich,

Only a double on BRK? I had you figured as one of the BRK vets. I'm sitting on 400-500% gains long term and figuring there's a surefire double in here at today's prices. Won't happen this year. Or even in two years, but surely in four-five. The only delay will be if the market tanks in that time. But then where better to be invested than in a company churns out cash and has a 100 billion to spend?

SD
Hey SD !

BRK is only a healthy double for me because I am continually adding extra free funds at higher prices per share. I started buying BRK in Jan 2002.

Rich (haywool)
I honestly don't find anything attractive lately.
Emerging market seems cheap, so is Europe. But I don't understand those markets, so stay away except some small exposure through ETF's.
I curious if anyone else can't find anything to buy.

Nope, you are the only one ;)

I honestly don't find anything attractive lately

I honestly don't think you are trying hard enough! :)

Or, you are limiting your investment scope? To make my point, here is an idea - Tsakos Energy Navigation Ltd (TNP)
No. of Recommendations: 7
Or, you are limiting your investment scope? To make my point, here is an idea - Tsakos Energy Navigation Ltd (TNP)

I traded tankers a long time ago (Teekay). I found the industry too full of crooks and value traps for my tastes, but have no opinion on TNP. I would probably have LNG or CQP if I wanted similar exposure.

I like DXC, FEYE, GTT, and FIT in tech for various reasons. I caught falling knives with ANET and NVDA recently. I like DATA but might cut it loose soon.

I like small regional grocers like VLGEA and IMKTA (a little).

I like water utilities like SBS, WTR, and MSEX longer term, but think they are a little expensive now.

I have BRK.B and will keep adding to it opportunistically. I like BAM. I caught MIC falling and have held.

I like to get good dividend payers opportunistically and hold them (current yield on my cost basis for AMT, APD, BXP, CCI, HPE/HPQ, JPM, LNT, PSX, SRE, VLO, and VZ probably average in the low teens)

I like (or at least am interested in) a couple of embarrassingly microcap entities like (ABCAF, GULTU, and GLGI among others mostly in the junior mineral and e&p space).

I think high quality media library is a license to print money in a post NFLx world. I tried VIA, and may take a starter in LGF (thank you, Naj)

I don't feel in a rush to get new money into any of these. Maybe DXC. Maybe BAM or BRK who would be in a position to take advantage of any market disruptions.

Hopefully it's clear I'm not limiting my investing scope. I just think risk adjusted returns are just not attractive right now.
No. of Recommendations: 2
. . . I caught MIC falling and have held.

I like to get good dividend payers opportunistically and hold them . . .

+++
+++

BEWARE!!!! I was a holder of MIC years ago. Mgmt cut the div to ZERO with minimum (think NONE) warning. [Look @ a chart of the 2005 -2007 era.]

I will not get caught by this Ozzie outfit AGAIN.

sunray
a man with a memory
<Big Chuckle>

I traded tankers a long time ago (Teekay). I found the industry too full of crooks and value traps for my tastes, but have no opinion on TNP. I would probably have LNG or CQP if I wanted similar exposure.

I like DXC, FEYE, GTT, and FIT in tech for various reasons. I caught falling knives with ANET and NVDA recently. I like DATA but might cut it loose soon.

I like small regional grocers like VLGEA and IMKTA (a little).

I like water utilities like SBS, WTR, and MSEX longer term, but think they are a little expensive now.

I have BRK.B and will keep adding to it opportunistically. I like BAM. I caught MIC falling and have held.

I like to get good dividend payers opportunistically and hold them (current yield on my cost basis for AMT, APD, BXP, CCI, HPE/HPQ, JPM, LNT, PSX, SRE, VLO, and VZ probably average in the low teens)

I like (or at least am interested in) a couple of embarrassingly microcap entities like (ABCAF, GULTU, and GLGI among others mostly in the junior mineral and e&p space).

I think high quality media library is a license to print money in a post NFLx world. I tried VIA, and may take a starter in LGF (thank you, Naj)

I don't feel in a rush to get new money into any of these. Maybe DXC. Maybe BAM or BRK who would be in a position to take advantage of any market disruptions.

Hopefully it's clear I'm not limiting my investing scope. I just think risk adjusted returns are just not attractive right now.

So why the "woe to me ..." post in the OP?