Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Nov 21, I got a text that there was a $250 charge with "card not present." I didn't recognize the store, and hadn't authorized the charge. Clear case of fraud.
So I called Citicards, using the number on the back of my card, and reported it. They cancelled the card and sent me a new one. I received the new card the next day.

However, a few days later, the bogus charge moved from "pending" to "posted," on the new account! I called, and the CSR said the charge was "under investigation," and it could take a week or two to resolve.

Nov 28, just to be safe, I tried to dispute the charge online. There's a down arrow next to each charge which, when selected, provides more info, and in the past included a link to dispute. The "dispute" option is no longer there, for any of my charges.
No problem, it's under investigation, therefore obviously disputed, right? Nope, when I go to the "Dispute Center" looking for status, that says there are no open disputes.
So, I contacted Citicards via chat, and the CSR said she'd flag it as disputed, and a credit would be issued in 3-5 business days.

Now (2 days later), the Dispute Center still shows no open disputes.

It really bothers me that:
- The charge is sitting there under "posted," along with all the legit charges. I think there should be 3 categories: pending, posted, and disputed.
- The dispute doesn't show up in the Dispute Center.
- The dispute option is no longer available in the drop-down menu under the charge.
- Different CSR's are giving different info.
- Citicards apparently paid the store anyway after I told them the charge was NOT authorized.

At every contact, Citicards gives the spiel that I should be assured I have zero liability, but I'm still annoyed. Why don't they just make it go away? What's going on? Have some anti-consumer laws passed recently? Last time I disputed anything was years ago, and it was simpler and easier that time around.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.