Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
At the Reuters Events Automotive Summit last week, Gill Pratt, chief scientist for Toyota Motor Group, acknowledged that battery electric cars will play a significant role in reducing carbon emissions in the transportation sector, but cautioned that the world should adopt an “all of the above” strategy that includes good old fashioned self-charging hybrids and fuel cell powered vehicles.

Pratt said Toyota believes in “diversity of drivetrains” to give customers different ways to reduce carbon dioxide. “It’s not for us to predict which solution is the best or say only this will work.” He added that government incentives should be aimed at reducing carbon emissions, not picking which car technology is the best way to achieve those goals. He was referencing proposed bans on internal combustion engines by a variety of national, state, and local governments
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
IMO, Pratt's comments reflect the fact that Toyota has put a lot of money into H2 research (which has bigger issues that BEV) and is also bringing up the rear for BEV introductions.

There is a Sandy Munro video (recently cited on the Fool Tesla board) wherein he comments that recent Toyota leadership is nothing like it was 50 years ago. Much more risk averse, much less focused on excellence. (Note: I'm not interested in engaging any Toyota fans on this subject.... just watch the videos). I don't remember which video had the comments.... think it's the second.

Elon & Sandy: Design Philosophy Parallels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROOiCUfj9pw (Part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZGWOrDBpg (part 2)

Bottom line, I think Pratt is just offering excuses.

Rob
Rule Breaker Home Fool
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Pratt said Toyota believes in “diversity of drivetrains” to give customers different ways to reduce carbon dioxide. “It’s not for us to predict which solution is the best or say only this will work.”

Jack of all trades, master of none? When you pick the wrong technology you go broke but at least you had a chance to win. If you dabble in all, you are most likely an also-ran. After Toyota's brilliant rise it would be a sad end. I've owned three Toyotas, good cars. I sold my last in good condition after 25 years of use.

I like Herbert Diess' approach at VW and maybe he can overcome German obstinacy but Sandy Munro likes Ford second best after Tesla and possibly BYD.

Denny Schlesinger
There is a Sandy Munro video (recently cited on the Fool Tesla board) wherein he comments that recent Toyota leadership is nothing like it was 50 years ago. Much more risk averse, much less focused on excellence.

He specifically commented that the current CEO was Harvard educated unlike his innovative grandfather. He also railed against "price reduction" (Harvard MBA) vs. "price creation" (giga presses?).

Denny Schlesinger

PS: My business partner coined the phrase, "The only permanent thing around here is change."
No. of Recommendations: 0
Yes just excuses. I still have a popup camper on a Tundra with 150,000 miles. Don't know how I am going to replace it. My new model Y will arrive Feb 8. Will consider a small trailer but it won't go where the truck will go. Solar panels and Powerwall on the house are installed and the house is running on the sun. Tesla charger waiting for the car.
My new model Y will arrive Feb 8.

How precise! 8-)

Mine has an estimated delivery of November 26 - December 2. Before that it was November 11 - December 01. Before that, November 24 - December 14.

You have a pretty good chance of getting one made at the new Texas plant. Rumor has it that it will be a newer design, with those famous castings at both ends. I am all but certain to get one made in the original plant in California.

Solar panels and Powerwall on the house are installed and the house is running on the sun.

Time to installation for mine is 1-2 weeks. 8-)

Tesla charger waiting for the car.

I've got the charger, and the electrician lined up, but he is very busy. Shouldn't be an issue with my estimated delivery.
First it was December then Jan 17-Feb 17. Speaking to Tesla recently they gave me the Feb 8 date. If you order now the wait is 6 months.
If you order now the wait is 6 months. -- EverettRuess

We ordered our 3 and Y in February and were told 3-4 weeks.

They came in only TWO!

Had to scramble and get the cash together early. Quite satisfied with both. And glad our timing for ordering was good.

Worked out the same last year as well. Bought our motorhome at the end of January..... and then the roof fell in with COVID and you couldn't find one on the dealer lots anymore.

Rob
Rule Breaker Home Fool
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.