Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi -

Not sure which board to post this - figured I'd give you guys a try (looks like a lot of really good information flowing around here).....

Trying to focus on strong company's that pay dividends - seems like a good way to increase my savings (retirement and otherwise) - does anyone know a good way (easy?) to find companys that actually pay regular dividends - any sort of list?

Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
Trying to focus on strong company's that pay dividends - seems like a good way to increase my savings (retirement and otherwise) - does anyone know a good way (easy?) to find companys that actually pay regular dividends - any sort of list?

Most stock screeners will do this - I use the one at http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/research/welcome.asp

rad
No. of Recommendations: 2
nelkem,

REITs (Real Estate Investment Trusts) pay good dividends...there is an extensive board here on the Fool that covers REITS:

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?mid=18381361&bid=100061

The typical payouts I've seen for REITs average around 7-8%. I personally own one, HRP, which is currently yielding 9.46%.

REIT prices don't generally move very much; they're more closely linked to certain interest rates than the health of the market. I bought HRP at 8.65 two years ago and it's currently trading at 8.46.

I'm very much NOT a REIT expert; I would encourage you to read the REIT board for more information on these.

Mark
Another group of stocks to consider are preferred stocks. You will find them listed separately every day in the Wall Street Journal.

But keep in mind as you go buying dividend stocks, that those that pay high yields will often react to changes in interest rates. Rising interest rates will cause share prices to decline to maintain the price/risk relationships within the market place between various income producing securities. This is a concern, because interest rate are at historic lows and seem more likely to rise from here.

Of course, the proposed changes in tax law that might make dividends wholly or partially exempt from income taxes makes them interesting--provided you correctly figure out how the market will respond. Hopefully it will bid up dividend stocks from where they are, but I don't think that's a certainty.

A group of stocks I like to consider I've always called dividend growth stocks. Those are ones that have a history of increasing their dividend frequently--ideally every year. Of course they can only do this if their earnings continue to grow. But if you manage to retire with large holdings of this type, your income will keep up with inflation at least theoretically.

Sadly, dividend stocks often do not pay high yields--another factor to watch. Hopefully that will change if the tax code provides some incentives for companies to pay more in dividends.
cnn.com's money page has a short list of top S&P dividend givers. http://money.cnn.com/2003/01/06/markets/dividend/index.htm

Also a discussion as to why the 'no dividend tax' is no big deal.