Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
I just wanted to update you on my hobby of diving for copper wire. Today I went to the recycler with what ended up being 591 lbs of copper which took almost two years to collect and strip in my free time. Since he was paying $.62 per pound I now have a check burning a hole in my pocket for $366.42. My wife couldn't believe it when I told her the amount. She thought this hobby just took up space in the garage. I am going to buy some high paying DRIP stocks with this money so that this hobby will continue to pay off many years into the future.

I continue to find new sources of this buried treasure. I don't think I'll ever let my finished product of copper wire get so large again as it took a big effort to get this amount of copper to the recycler. I had to borrow a friends truck to get it all in one load. I think I'll try to go to the recycler monthly or at least quarterly so that first it is not as difficult to handle and second it gets invested sooner starting to earn me dividends quicker. I realize the recycling checks will be smaller under this plan, but the shares purchased through my DRIPS would increase and begin paying off sooner.

With a little hard work and determination there is money to be made through our hobbies of diving for books, videos and lawn movers, as posted previously by others.

Good luck to all of us who consider dumpster diving or curb shopping a hobby or pursuit worth our time.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.