Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
For those of you who have been keeping track of my copper wire recycling activity I am HAPPY to report the reults of my latest trip to the scrap dealer. I went on Friday and delivered 375 lbs of # 1 copper (stripped copper wire) that I dumpster dove from local home building sites. This copper was turned in to the scrap dealer for a price of $1.25 per lb. I also had 14 lbs of aluminium cans @ $.50 per lb and 61 lbs of miscellaneous copper and aluminum for $.415 per lb for a total of $501.05. I also made a similar trip like this to the scrap dealer in March 2005 where I turned in 370 lbs of copper at $1.20 per lb and other cans and miscellaneous metals for $463.01. The proceeds from these trips to the scrap dealer are then immediately invested in my Roth IRA so that I can compound the benefit of my dumpster diving activity.

In two trips to the scrap dealer during the first six moths of 2005 I have made almost $965. This is to off set the minor expenses of gloves and the plug of an occasional flat tire at $15 a shot, but the goods are out there if you know where and when to look.

I had to laugh to myself Friday when I was filling out the deposit slip at the bank as I was writing with a pharmaceutical company pen that I found diving earlier in the month.

Good luck to all in your pursuit to find the buried treasures in your neck of the woods.

DMyers8985
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.