Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Don't know much about world-wide taxation of US citizens, except you better see a specialist. Since this is a US pecularity, your best sources will be in the US - try the Fools Tax boards

With regard to transferring assets, I'm not sure what advantages you had in mind for a Swiss bank account and whether you are after local assets (many are purchasable on US exchanges) or want local bank accounts, brokerage a/c's etc.

If the later, try talking to HSBC - they have branches in Aust and NZ and may be the easiest route. There are always online brokerages (check their T&C to see if overseas residents are eligible).
Also have a quick look at the Australia and NZ dual tax agreements - you can usually apply to have lower rates of withholding for non-residents (both for interest and dividends).

Hope this helps - reply with more specific information as to what your needs ar and I'll try to answer your questions.


Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.