Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
DLsun,

You wrote, I only have 40-50K left in 401k, as we got smashed in the crash of 2008. ...

That was 11 years ago. Since the height (not low) of the market before that crash, the S&P 500 has returned an average annual total return (includes dividends) of 10.8%/year. Total return for that period was 209.216%. A $50,000 index fund investment in the S&P 500 on October 1st, 2008 would be worth about $150,460 today.

I'm guessing you bailed and sat out what has probably been the single longest and largest stock market recovery in history. <sarcasm> Naturally now is the very best time to jump back in with both feet and follow someone else's advice to by some individual stocks so you can finally make up your losses. </sarcasm>

- Joel
Sorry, but I can't help myself.
I clearly remember posts from people that bailed after the tech crash that were jumping back in during the bull market just months before Lehman Brother's filed for bankruptcy
... and the market flushed itself down the toilet for a year or two.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.