Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

There is a number of things you can do now and in retirement. Here are some questions to ask yourself and maybe you can formulate the answers based on what you see.

First: What sort of income does it provide now? Does it produce any interest or dividends? How steady are the dividends? Are they reinvested automatically or manually?

Second: How comfortable are you with carefully selecting partial positions to sell?

Income from a portfolio comes from 2 basic methods.

1. Sell partial positions from appreciated investments. This method consumes the asset.

2. Have a dividend/interest paying portfolio that pays you without consuming the principal.

I am retired. My portfolio pays enough dividends to cover about 68% of our expenses. Interest brings that to about 90%. (Side note: Because of all the early/special dividends this year I am at 102%, which means next year will be less) The 90% leaves 10% for SSA and pension to cover.

With 25 years to go, you have time to start slowly building a stable dividend paying portfolio. A company like KO is a good place to start. KO is a Div Champion on D. Fish's CCC list. KO has raised its dividend annually for 50 years.

Dividend payers need the normal fundamental inspection/monitoring with the intent of insuring the business is solid and the dividends will continue to be paid.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.