Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Yes. I bought a house a couple of months ago (stop laughing fleabagger). Yeah, I know what a dumb move right, but I still believe that owning a house is better than renting for the rest of my life. Plus I love the house. I just found out that there is an HOA that came along with the house. If I would have known, I may not have bought it. I hate HOA's and I have had issues with them in the past. Well this HOA doesn't do anything for me, but says there are unpaid dues and that they will put a lien on my property unless they are paid. HMMMMMMMMM. Right I am going to pay somebody else's dues to an HOA that doesn't provide any service whatsoever and I was unaware of it during the purchase. I guess this is what we pay title insurance for.

Extortion is commonly practiced by organized crime groups. The actual obtainment of money or property is not required to commit the offense. (Wikipedia's part of def)

Just thought I would throw this in to help others understand why I feel it is extortion. So my question is who do I sue (talk to)? Everybody involved in the transaction? Or do I just deal with the HOA on my own? If they don't plow my driveway, take care of the trash, cut grass, or even remotely provide a service, how can they collect dues and have bylaws? Each lot in the area is a 10 acre parcel and supposedly the HOA is suppose to maintain some of the roads that do not connect or come close to my property. I found this out after talking to a neighbor that said he just throws everything out that comes to his house from the HOA. So even if I did pay the dues what benefit would I get. I don't want more people moving into the area. That would mean there would be an increase chance in more foreclosures! No thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeowners'_association 

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.