Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Do I have to do anything to report those RSUs as an investment, or does just handling the W-2 cover me from a tax reporting perspective? And if I do have to report them as an investment, what reporting form am I missing, so that I know what to ask for when digging up a replacement?

The W-2 documents the ordinary income received based on the fair market value of the stock shares that vested. You should have also received a 1099 from the brokerage administering the employee stock account that documents the sale of the stocks. You still need to report that sale on your 8949 and/or Schedule D, but since the stocks were granted at fair market value (which was already taxed as ordinary income based on your W-2), and should have also been sold at the same fair market value, it shouldn't be a capital gain. In fact, you generally have a small capital loss, due to the SEC fees, and any other commissions or other fees paid.

If you had chosen to keep shares, the administrator will still generally sell any partial shares* that vested, plus enough whole shares to cover the taxes (ordinary income at 22% for Federal, plus any state/local income tax plus OASDI and Medicare, so, depending on your state/local taxes, about 30% - 40% of your vested shares will probably be sold). Typically, due to selling whole shares, there ends up being some cash left after covering the taxes, and that cash would have come to you in a supplemental paycheck, similar to the one you got for liquidating all the shares. Again, you would have documented the ordinary income through the W-2 and the sale of the shares sold using the 1099. The basis in the remaining stocks would be the fair market value that the grant was based on.

*With some brokerages now allowing partial share initial purchases, it may be that those brokerages will only sell the exact amount and leave you holding partial shares. That would depend on the brokerage.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.