Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Do I have to report a stock deemed worthless that I didn't sell?

The stock is not listed on the 1099-B from my broker.

The reason I ask.......if I do claim it as a loss on schedule D, for some reason I'm then required to pay the Alternate minimum tax.

The difference is paying Uncle Sam $4500(ouch!) as opposed to getting a $5880(yeah!) refund.

The simple answer is that you don't have to claim the worthless stock, but if you ever decide you want to, you will still have to claim it on the return for the year it became worthless. So... you can't save it for 2003.

Two other comments. First, make sure the stock is truly worthless, not just a company in bankruptcy. They're not the same.

Second, I suspect you've made a mistake somewhere in your tax return. I can't imagine any circumstance where reporting a loss which can't be more than $3000 (the rest will be carried forward), could lead to a $10,000 increase in taxes.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.