Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am planning to retire this year at age 52 and take substantially equal payments out of my IRA until I reach 59.5. I plan to use the amortization method of withdrawal from one designated IRA cash account and choose a reasonably conservative interest rate of 7% and my life expectancy per approved actuary tables. My IRA account balance will be based on the value in existence as of 12/31/99. I'm not doing anything unusual that I know of and will follow the IRS Notice 89-25 guidelines. As long as I carefully document my assumptions and withdrawal rate calculations, is there any reason I need to hire an attorney to obtain a private letter ruling from the IRS? If it's a good idea to get a private letter ruling, can I do it myself and if so whom do I contact?

Thanks for advice.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.