Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Age 62 is a long way off for me! (40 years). That is both good and bad for retirement planning. I pay 0 (I think) federal taxes yet budget frugally and can afford between $100 and $250 to savings each month. My current plans are $100 a month to a Roth-IRA. I don't think I want to put more than that, and probably will use that to put a down-payment on my first home (about 7 years away probably).

Once I make more income putting it away in a Roth won't be a problem, but right now I may want to put it away in something a little more liquid. I was thinking maybe just buying into the S+P or some other stock but not use the IRA function. Or put a smaller amount in an IRA (maybe $50 a month). I guess there are a lot of variables that you can't give a "perfect" answer, but basically my concern is putting money away that is currently a large percentage of income to not touch for 40 years versus investing without an IRA while waiting to the start the IRA for a few years when I make more money.

By the way, I am putting money aside for an "emergency fund" as well, so I do have liquidity there...
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.