Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
do I want to be a burden?

I got a lot of that burden nonsense from my parents during their decline. To Mom my one-word response was "diapers." She was known far and wide for recalling that her babies never had a rash. With Dad it was "college." They paid for everything my scholarship didn't, and I graduated with more money in the bank than they had. That said, of course you don't want to be a burden. That's why we make plans we hope we'll never have to implement.

My one caution on behalf of your children is that you periodically realistically assess your ability to stay where you are a year in the future. LD notes that she's seeing some physical changes. I hope you'll be one of the lucky ones, like my grandmother, who roll along great until they wake up dead. But if time takes a toll you'll do yourself and your children a great service by facing the fact and making the best lemonade you can.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.