No. of Recommendations: 35
DO NOT pull a post from METAR unless it violates a METAR rule!

Hi Wendy,

I apologize – I am guilty of pulling the post. And thanks to you and others here for the kind words.

I was not really influenced so much by the negative post - - I have five kids and thus a fairly insensitive hide.

Instead, I was leery from the beginning about my post – sort of worried about posting it – because it was so long and it seemed weird to post the lyrics of a song I wrote.

So, when I saw a post agreeing with me that it was excruciating, that kind of reflected my own view.

Also, my teenage daughter wandered by and we had this conversation:

Sammie: Hi, Dad, you look troubled.
Me: Yeah, I am wondering if I didn’t make a mistake in putting up a really long dull post on the METAR board. I was worried from the beginning, and the first guy that read it said that it was excruciating.
Sammie: I am sure he was kidding; it was probably a fun post.
Me: Well, I kind of wish I hadn’t included the lyrics to my song.
Sammie: Oh, no – did you really do that? Wow, borrrrrrring! Gee, next you will be posting recipes or something!
Me: Well, actually, a while ago I did . . . .
Sammie: That’s like the guy that brings over a slide show of his trip, Dad. Can you take the post down?
Me: I’m not sure . . . .

Finally, at that point I reread the post and it sounded as if I thought I had all the answers to every problem, when truly it was just kind of a marvelous night when everything turned out OK.

So, I decided to pull the post rather than test the patience of the community here. Probably I should have left it up, but mostly I didn’t like the unintended know-it-all feel of the post.

Anyway, I do not mind the criticisms I get (in a weird way, I am honored that people pay enough attention to make such careful critical comments), and I very much enjoy being a part of this excellent and interesting community.

So here is a poem I wrote:

(just kidding)

Rich

A Drumlin Daisy

OK, OK, I can’t help it; I am going to include two poems I wrote.

Imagine what would happen if John Hussman got a job writing verses for Hallmark cards.

For example, a birthday card for a wife:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY WIFE

Enjoy this birthday, sweetheart,
Put on your party cloak.
Enjoy your special day, my tart,
For we are going broke.

Yes fate is oh so fickle, dear,
And the future looks quite grim.
With luck we may survive the year;
The outlook, though, is dim.

So happy birthday, honey,
Ignore our sinking ship;
For though we have no money,
At least our taxes will be zip!

And here is a Congratulations Graduate card, Hussman style:

CONGRATULATIONS GRADUATE

You must be proud today;
You rose above the mob.
And I am very proud to say,
I hope you get a job.

OK, this means that at one point or another I have now posted a recipe, a song and a poem on these boards. I have completed the bad-taste trifecta!
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.