Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
do they have my banking info?

I keep hearing/reading if your banking info is "on your return"... they have your info & you'll get early/faster electronic deposit. My returns haven't for a 4-5 years had this info "on my return". But I do pay ES through EFTPS. My payments through EFTPS (from my bank) are tied to my SSN, as is obviously my 1040. They deducted Q4 2019 on 15 Jan 2020.

So they should have my info, right? <- rhetorical. But its the guv'mt too, I don't see this going all that smoothly. I'll see in a couple weeks if the 2 matched up for an electronic deposit.

I don't think so. The language in the law (CARES Act, Section 2201) states that the IRS will use the account which was indicated to receive a refund in 2018 or 2019 or which receives SS monthly benefits. Language in other IRS "publications" (that is, website pages, FAQs, etc,, not a formal IRS Publication) expands that to accounts included on tax returns to fund payments of tax liability. Nowhere do I see any reference to EFTPS or payments entered via IRS direct pay. While that information "could" be used, Congress' intent was to make the process as quick as possible, not as complete as possible.

I would use the tool the IRS is developing for taxpayers to enter their account info when (if?) it is released.

Ira
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.