Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Our daughter graduated from college in May, lived at home during the summer, started a graduate program in the fall. As part of the terms of receiving her fellowship (tuition + stipend), she has to establish in-state residency. She is 22.

I understand that her tuition benefit is not taxable; and that up to age 24 we can claim her as a dependent, assuming she is a full-time student. Questions:

1. I was under the impression that there was an income limit she cannot exceed for us to claim her as a dependnet. I cannot find this information on the IRS site; maybe I'm confusing that limit with the limit for needing to file a return.

2. If we don't claim her, do we jeopardize our ability to be able to deduct tuition payment we made for college?

3. If we do claim her, is there any chance we jeopardize her bid to acquire instate residency (since August, she has paid all her own expenses -- apartment, insurance, has registered car in state, has acquired a drivers' license there, etc.).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.