No. of Recommendations: 13
SO -

I have this thing where I don't really like bonds. They seem like that lazy brother-in-law who's been sitting on the sofa doing nothing for years. I like STOCKS. They're a bit bipolar, granted, but over ANY TEN YEAR PERIOD they'll outperform bonds, like, always.

So I went to my financial adviser today for our annual pow-wow and I asked her DO I HAVE TO BUY BONDS ONCE I RETIRE? AND SO MUCH? cause - and this is key - I am VERY risk-tolerant and like the returns I get from stocks. I mean, if my account drops even 20% as it did in 2008, I sleep like a well-fed old dog (not a baby).

So - here's the deal. The thing where bonds have to be a certain percentage of your portfolio that's 100-your age? It's crap. You shouldn't do bonds as a percentage.

Bonds only outperform stocks during a recession. It's purely downside protection. Since the great depression, our recessions typically last less than 3 years each. So instead of saying "bonds should be 30% of your portfolio" you SHOULD say "bonds should cover my expenses during a recessionary period".

So if your 401K is smaller, and it's a huge part of your retirement income, then sure, have enough in bonds to cover 3 years of expenses and maybe that's 30% or even 40% of your 401K. If you have other income streams that are recession-proof and your 401K isn't your only income stream, or if your 401K is huge, maybe that bonds portion is 5% but, again, enough to get you through a 3-year market dive.

The thing that says "everyone should do bonds as a percentage that is X" though, is crap.

Thought I'd share. If you disagree, YMMV.

Ciao!
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.