No. of Recommendations: 0
Do you file a schedule C each year? If you do and you do not receive a W2 from an employer, and you don't have any employees that work for you over 1000 hours per year, you and your spouse my set up a solo-401(k). The above link is general in its description of how a solo-401(k) plan is set up, as there are more details in how maximum contribution amounts are calculated, start up costs, annual required reporting after the account value reaches $250,000, and so forth.

For a more detailed description of a SEP or SIMPLE IRA, take a look at IRS Publication 560, at

It has all the details you'll require for setting up either of these two plans.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.