Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Do you get an employer match with any portion of your contribution? If so I believe it would be good to contribute at least enough to get the maximum employer match. If there is no employer match then I think the decision would be to determine whether there is something else that perhaps might be better such as a traditional or Roth IRA. Also consider that if your employer does continue the plan after December you will have lost the 3 months or so of contributions that you might have made.

With regard to the funds which are available to you, unfortunately we are all generally dependant upon what is offered to us. But like the poker player said, "I know the game is crooked, but it's the only game in town." A poor 401k is generally better than none and particularly if there is an employer match.

With regard to expenses in 401k's, my experience has been that some or all of the expenses are allocated across all participants in the plan and you generally don't see exactly what they are. In some plans, there may be additional expenses which are levied against the participants which seem to be somewhat dependant on actions taken at your request such as transfers between funds within the 401k.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.