No. of Recommendations: 1
I get offers for "free lunches" from time to time. I got an offer from my back-up credit card, which I only use if my main card is being replaced because I lost it or something. The offer was for an insurance program in case I ever move or lose my job. There is a charge for this insurance of 69 cents per $100 balance carried over. If I pay in full, there is no charge (nor any benefit). That's all beside the point, because I don't even use the card.

What sucked me into agreeing to the program was the following offer: they are sending me literature and a $15 coupon good at any gas station, and I have the right to cancel within 30 days of receiving the literature, and I'll owe nothing. I'll owe nothing, anyway, because I don't use the card. So my plan is to cancel as soon as I get the coupon, but I still have this feeling of worry that I haven't found the catch. I quizzed the salesman repeatedly. I guess at worst I'll cancel the card.

I get other offers. One was a $100 gift card to WalMart if I'd just let someone come and make a pitch for new windows "in the comfort of my own home." I decided not to bite on that because I don't want someone in my house that might be hard to get rid of, and it wasn't clear how long I had to let them stay before I could get my gift card. I'm not worried about buying new windows, just getting rid of someone. I don't like for salemen to come into the house.

I also get offers for a free dinner at a very nice Italian restaurant if I'll listen to an investment pitch. I haven't accepted that offer, either, because I think I might be impatient to leave before they'd let me. Maybe I should take the offer and bring a book. Then after I finish eating, I can just read? ;-)

So how do you gauge these so-called "free" offers?

- tmeri
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.