Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Do you like vampire books? There's one called "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson. I'm dying to read it, but as I'm a huge scaredy cat and easily get nightmares, I need someone to vet it for me first.

I recently read this. Actually, 'I am Legend' is only the largest story (about novella length) in an anthology. It's a pretty good story, as are some of the shorter ones.

What you have to bear in mind about Matheson is that he did much of his writing in the 50's and 60's (a bunch of his stories got made into episodes of 'The Twilight Zone'). While the stories are quite clever, his writing appears a bit dated, at least for horror writing. There is little in the books that is likely to really shock/horrify you, and some of his stories have a "familiar" feel (probably because they have been produced, stolen, modified and reproduced so many times).

Worth reading, definitely. Inventive and often eerie, but no real terror in them.

-Brad
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.