Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 13
Doable, but I'm not sure I see the fit.

This is to solve which problem?

A place to park funds till an elephant is in the cross hairs?
Not really a good solution for that...too hard to liquidate tens of billions, and prices might be unpleasantly low at that time.

Or a place to invest capital long term?
This is not going to be market beating on average by any meaningful amount, unlike the bulk of the assets already owned.
So Berkshire would gradually just become another closed end fund that was mostly market tracking.
Buybacks even at full fair value would be preferable, in my view.

In either case, there is a certain infrastructure needed which Berkshire could build but doesn't currently have.
Is that money well spent? Would it really be better than the low offerings that are out there?
Either way, getting in and out is gated by the liquidity of the underlying stocks.
I kind of assume it would be a low fee ETF thing, but it could farmed out to the a high fee choice like the Renaissance Institutional Equities Fund : )

Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.