Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 30
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 13
Just think, the Political Party largely responsible for all this needless suffering and death is likely to take power in about a year...

The science denying, fact free, corrupt, backward thinking, anti-democratic, insurrectionist, deeply unAmerican Republican Party is all set to destroy our country.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Just think, the Political Party largely responsible for all this needless suffering and death is likely to take power in about a year...

You would think that reality would cause Democrats to re-think their positions about how to advance democratic voting, to fix a broken justice system, to repair a broken legal system and (most of all) to alter an economic system that simply keeps pouring money into the portfolios of billionaires while destroying the working class. But apparently they have discovered that their base supporters - the corporate/moderate DEMs - are just as gullible as Republicans. No need to actually take action, simply make excuses for Manchin and Sinema as if they alone are stopping Democrats from halting our descent into authoritarianism and White-only-democratic voting.
She thinks masks will kill her family and quack cures will save them. I kind of hope the whole family dies off and takes them out of humanity's misery =8-0

I'm angry enough to smack her and break her nose. Maybe I'm becoming a Republican :-/
No. of Recommendations: 5
No need to actually take action, simply make excuses for Manchin and Sinema as if they alone are stopping Democrats from halting our descent into authoritarianism and White-only-democratic voting.

Just curious, if you were president or the Senate Leader, what specific steps would you take to overcome the objections of Manchin and Sinema?

AW
No. of Recommendations: 4
No need to actually take action, simply make excuses for Manchin and Sinema as if they alone are stopping Democrats

Except they are. Without them, the Democrats only have 48 votes. And 48 can never beat 50.
No. of Recommendations: 0
No need to actually take action, simply make excuses for Manchin and Sinema as if they alone are stopping Democrats from halting our descent into authoritarianism and White-only-democratic voting.

Okay, I'll bite - how do you propose the Democrats take actions that Manchin and/or Sinema won't vote for?

Albaby
alstroemeria
She thinks masks will kill her family and quack cures will save them. I kind of hope the whole family dies off and takes them out of humanity's misery =8-0

I'm angry enough to smack her and break her nose. Maybe I'm becoming a Republican

Yeow. Pretty strong.

We might be wrong, but we're sensing some deep seated and unbridled hostility and anger here. My first suggestion would be a review of all meds, verify they're being taken per prescription.

If needed, therapy or an intervention might be indicated???
No. of Recommendations: 1
Interesting that a lot of their posts slam internet sites for misinformation yet we are supposed to believe that a reddit post is 100% factual from a Doctor of 30 years. Maybe it is legit however in their posts the constant bashing and things like "your father is an idiot" leads me to think it's not factual. Hey maybes a very unprofessional Doctor posting this for the public to see is real. Hrrrrm.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I love how the corporate/moderate DEMs believe that they can deny the failure of Democrats to address voting, the justice system, economics and education by simply attacking anyone who points out the failure. And then by them asking the question, "What would you do?" . . . as if placing the requirement to fix the broken Democratic party on anyone who mentions that they are not succeeding is a good enough solution. I wonder what you believe that accomplishes?

Let me turn it around for those of you who feel like you can make me responsible for fixing the Democratic party. Even if I have no idea how to fix the Democrat party failure, that is not proof that everything is okay. I realize that your real goal in pressing me for solutions is that no matter what anyone suggests as a solution, it can be nit picked and attacked and held in scorn. That won't solve the problem, but it discredits the observer and I guess you believe that if you discredit the observer, it must make their observations false. Of course that's stupid, but there you go.

So here is the turn around of your efforts to discredit the observation by attacking the observer:
What are you proposing to do to convince the voters [who continue to turn away from Democratic party failures] to change their minds about Democrats in next year's election? (https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating/ and https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/trackers/the-democr...) Do you believe that asking every voter to explain what they would do to fix the Democratic party is going to convince them to vote for Democrats? That seems pretty simple minded and silly. Do you believe that you can simply take a loss to Republicans and then Democrats will recover their ability to govern as the minority party? That also seems simple minded and silly. Or do you believe that Republicans won't do much harm if Democrats are out of power for a few election cycles and eventually the Democrats will gain so much of a majority that even they will be able to pass meaningful legislation? Good luck with that.

I am making observations. Democrats in Washington are failing to govern even when they are in the majority. Voters who worked to put them in the majority are turning away from them at an alarming rate. Couple that with the fact that Republicans seem to have no problem banning together to undo democratic voting principles when they control state houses and you have a real crisis in the Democratic party. If Democrats do not solve their governing problem, they may lose power and influence in Washington for several decades to come. They are going to have a very difficult time ever winning a majority in the Senate ever again, and the House is barely better for them after the Republicans have rammed through all of their voter suppression and gerrymandering laws and regulations.

Republicans may be de-coupled from reality, honesty, and integrity, but they are winning the PR battle for voters. That's just an observation. The polls tell you it's true - and pretending that it is not true if I fail to tell you how to fix the Democrat's problems, won't change the truth.

If you don't want to talk about the Democrats' crises, then stick your head in the sand. If you don't want to talk about the Democrats' crises, attack the observers who point out the Democrats' failure to pass legislation supporting the working class. But if that's your strategy, I would advise you prepare yourself for an electoral shellacking next November. And blaming that on me won't help you.
Okay, I'll bite - how do you propose the Democrats take actions that Manchin and/or Sinema won't vote for?

They don't. They propose bills the GQP will support.

One example of an additional clause to every bill that will make Senators think twice about how to vote:

"Payments authorized per this bill shall not be made to states whose Senator(s) voted against this bill. Those funds shall instead be used to help pay down the US National Debt."

Suddenly, the money is being removed from those who oppose it and used to help the general public.
She's spreading disease--and worse, ignorance. Covoid Karen.
Perhaps you could outline the exact steps that Democrats could take that would make everything they want a breeze to pass.

Let's see, theoretically 50-50 in the Senate, but two pseudo Democrats won't vote with the rest.

Minuscule majority in the house, so not so easy to pass anything and irrelevant given Senate breakdown and stupidity of the extreme left.

Please, give us your steps for this massively effective route to total victory that somehow the Democrats are unable to articulate and effect.

I would like to be really, really rude, but I won't. I can hardly differentiate in idiocy between the scum republicans and the scum fringe Democrats.

Wessex
Perhaps you could outline the exact steps that Democrats could take that would make everything they want a breeze to pass.

They never will. It's exasperating, but their smug insistence that it's all the fault of "the Democrats" does real damage to our chances of actually surviving as a democracy.

I would like to be really, really rude, but I won't. I can hardly differentiate in idiocy between the scum republicans and the scum fringe Democrats.

I support pretty much everything the progressives support except their inability to take responsibility for the fact that their refusal to support Hillary gave the election to Trump, and their willingness to see democracy snatched out from under us rather than do all they can to help the only people on the planet who might possibly be able to prevent that.

They are the combined "manchins" on the other end of the spectrum, who are content to aid the Republicans in their quest for a fascist state, and -- you're right -- indistinguishable from the fascists in their self-regard and recklessness with the lives of other people.

SLL
It's exasperating, but their smug insistence that it's all the fault of "the Democrats" does real damage to our chances of actually surviving as a democracy.

Why are you lying? You need to re-think your position when you have to tell lies about my posts in order to defend your own position. Smug??? Geeezzz, have you read your own posts? Do you know how long I have been a Democrat? Or who and what I support? How many dollars and how much time I have given to support Democrats? NO. You think you are the only true Democrat and that I don't have a right to weigh in on Democrat party issues. That's just precious. And it says a lot about the actual inclusiveness of so many moderate/corporate Democrats. Would you like to compare personal lifetime giving of funding, time and energy to Democrats between yourself and me? I think that might be very enlightening. You don't know a thing about me or my contributions to the Democratic party, and your posts attacking me exhibit a level of willful ignorance and smugness that rivals my simple observations about Democrat party failures. Heck, it rivals Republican ignorance and smugness.

How are my posts doing damage to the Democrats? I wish I had that much power and influence. The Democrats seem quite capable of achieving sinking popularity nation wide without my help. Blaming me for that because I point it out is simply stupid. Apparently when I point to sinking Democrat popularity and failure to advance legislation that would stop the GQP steal, then those issues will be blamed on me. Right. . . that's really inciteful analysis on your part. You can close your eyes and blame me and blame the Republicans, but that won't win elections. You know what just might win elections??? Actually passing some of those programs that Democrats were talking about during the last election.

In reality, it is the complacency of the moderate/corporate DEMs that does real damage to our chances of actually surviving as a democracy. You have it exactly wrong and you are going to destroy our democracy by blindly worshiping your Democratic party while not expecting any results other than election defeat of Republicans. And you will find that the longer you cling to your blind worship of the party . . . the longer you accept their inability to actually pass legislation to address our nation's problems . . . the fewer times Democrats will be able to actually defeat Republican candidates. The reason Democrats are losing in the polls is because what the Democrats are doing is inadequate to address our nation's actual problems. It is not because I had the audacity to point out their failure.

You refer to my observations as exasperating. You know what is exasperating to me . . . all these so-called "moderate" Democrats who seem fine with the Democrats failing to unite and pass legislation while they are losing public support daily. Their knee-jerk defense of a party that has clearly lost its way is their problem, but they blame it first on Republicans, then on the Democrats who point out that the party needs to change direction or they will die.

So blame me for your failures if that's what you need to do rather than to admit there is a problem within the party. It won't do you or the nation any good, but as long as it keeps you from having to admit that the current Democratic party has lost it's way and the voters have already begun to figure that out.
You know what is exasperating to me . . . all these so-called "moderate" Democrats who seem fine with the Democrats failing to unite and pass legislation while they are losing public support daily.

There is a difference between being "fine" with Democrats not passing legislation and recognizing that Joe Manchin is a conservative Democrat and isn't going to vote for most progressive legislation. I'm quite certain that middle-of-the-road Democratic Senators would vastly prefer to just pass a $2.8 trillion version of the BBB and trumpet the achievement. They don't have the power to do that, but that doesn't mean they're "fine" with not being able to do it.

So blame me for your failures if that's what you need to do rather than to admit there is a problem within the party. It won't do you or the nation any good, but as long as it keeps you from having to admit that the current Democratic party has lost it's way and the voters have already begun to figure that out.

Blaming the Democratic party for this is foolhardy. That's your mistake. The Democratic party can't make Joe Manchin vote for anything he doesn't want to vote for, and developing negative sentiment about the Democratic party for failing to do the impossible is a terrible strategy.

Conservative Democrats exist. About 12% of Democrats identify as conservative - it's not surprising that out of 50 Democratic Senators, at least one of them is a conservative:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/328367/americans-political-ideo...

Progressives are barely a majority within the Democratic party - they're not a majority in either the House or the Senate. So castigating the Democratic party for failing to pass progressive legislation when they lack the votes to do it is a fool's game.

The Democratic party has had numerous different strategy choices for how to pursue a legislative agenda, of course. They could have passed some fairly centrist bills relatively quickly (such as the infrastructure bill and a pared-down version of the BBB act). Instead, they have chosen to take a fairly long amount of time in order to pass the most progressive version of the BBB that can get through the Senate, partially in order to show the progressive base of the party how hard they're fighting for these priorities. There's a cost to that.

There is a problem within the Democratic party. It's a failure to recognize that not all Democrats believe the same things, and that therefore the policies that can actually get passed through a Congress with razor-thin majorities are not the policies that the Democrats would choose to pass if they had larger majorities. This has led Democratic officeholders on the left to make promises to their constituents that can't be kept, and members of the progressive faction to start blaming "Democrats" for not doing things that are not feasible given the composition of the Senate.

Albaby