Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
Doctors are the ones being cut out. My own GP told me he if he had to do it again he would not go to med school. But that was 2 years ago. He is now starting his own practice w a subscription flat rate per month, catastrophic insurance patients buy on top of that. And most drugs will be free from his clinic or at reduced rate.

Telemedicine is being done by doctors on their own to enable them to get out of the system.

This part may be perceived as political, but not intended that way as it is very relevant to this investment. The law currently allows my GP to do this as well as take telemedicine calls. Canadian medicine not so much. So there is a real risk as an investment opportunity w government in this field.

Absent that, doctors are disintermediating third party payors by either starting their own clinics largely outside the system or just like an UBER driver but at higher compensation, taking teladoc calls. There are actually learning materials on line teaching doctors how to do this and earn $150 to $250k a year
And never leaving their homes. Does take a lot of hours however to make it so.

Telemedicine is here to stay. The success as an investment is not the same thing. But absent political issues we don’t need to discuss (as that is the real risk) telemedicine exists despite the insurance companies and the hospitals etc. it is freelancing doctors sick of the system.

Livongo is a different business, but Livongo, as they describe it, is taking baby steps to go direct to consumers. Would think that is a delicate thing for the mom to do, but they already have done it with CVS.

Tinker
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.