No. of Recommendations: 2
Does anyone have a good system for computing how much extra draw I could take on a 3 to 5 year basis before starting SS? Compute a present value for the Social Security, and add that to my current investment value, and then compute 4% on the new total (and subsequently when I start to draw SS, that would reduce what I take from my investments)?

That doesn't make sense.

Your Social Security benefit can't reasonably be reduced to a present value. Oh, you can do the math...but the answer is mathematically correct but logically nonsense. SS is just an income stream.

And here's an example of what I complained about the other day, that people have heard so much about "4%" that they try to apply it in situations where it doesn't apply.
The "4% rule" is the amount you can take annually--adjusted for inflation--from a annually balanced 60/40 portfolio, and have 97% probability that the portfolio will not run out of money for 30 years.
</soapbox>

Here's how to figure what you asked about:
1) Your income need is (will be?) $X per month.
2) SS & pension will provide you $Y per month.
3) Therefore your necessary withdrawal from your retirement portfolio is $X-$Y. Call this $Z
4) Thus, your retirement portfolio needs to be 25 * $Z at the time when you start collecting your SS and pension benefits. Call this $P2 (read: portfolio value when you start collecting.) ($P2 * 4% == $Z)

5) Go to firecalc and plug in different draw percentages for a 5 year period. Then look at the range of ending portfolio values, especially the average. Such as this: https://firecalc.com/index.php?wdamt=6000&PortValue=1000...

A 6% draw has an average value after 5 years almost equal to the starting value. Problem is, the low is 34%. How lucky do you feel? A 4% draw has average of 112% and low of 43%. It's up to you.

Another problem is that almost one-third (31%) of all 5 year periods have a lower ending balance than the initial balance. So 1/3rd of the time, 4% draw is too much. You need to decide if that's an acceptable risk.

6) In conclusion, figure out what your portfolio value needs to be when you start collecting (step 4). That's what the portfolio value needs to be 5 years before you start. (Call this P1).
Conveniently, at 4% SWR, P1 == P2 and _all_ portfolio withdrawals (both before you start collecting SS and after you start collecting) will follow the same 4% withdrawal rule.

So...the sad news is that you cannot (safely) take a larger draw on your portfolio before you start collecting SS and pension.

OTOH, if your P1 portfolio is much larger than P2, then you are fine. But you also don't need the extra draw. But people usually only ask about an extra draw if they actually need it.

Bummer.

Oh....and start SS at 62, don't defer to 70.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.