Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Does anyone know how to fill out an AMT 1116 Foreign Tax Credit
form where all your foreign income taxes were passed onto you by
mutual funds on a Form 1099-DIV and you would not ordinarily have
to fill out this form?

Thanks Dick

Usually you can use the under $300 rule (or is it $600?) to avoid the 1116. Then the AMT 1116 is the same as the item you entered. Otherwise, fill out a second 1116 using AMT figures for each entry. The last time I had to do that I got the full credit because the 1116 worked out better on an AMT basis than without regard to AMT. Another time I think I only got about 1/2 the credit. I would doubt that any auditor would know how to do it either. ed
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.