No. of Recommendations: 1
Does Countrywide's latest troubles not keep you up at night?>

There is good reason to be concerned about Countrywide's solvency. If not for the FDIC insurance, I would never deposit at Countrywide, certainly not at this time.

It doesn't keep me up at night, because the FDIC seems to be quite efficient at transferring accounts to solvent banks, should the depository bank fail. Just a couple of weeks ago, NetBank, the first internet-only bank, failed, and its accounts were transferred to ING, without a hitch.

The reason Countrywide (and IndyMac) are offering above-market rates to attract depositors, when they are at risk of failure. That risk is very real. But, the FDIC protects me, so I'm comfortable. That being said, I keep a few months' operating funds outside of these shaky banks.

Wendy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.