Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Does it matter wich states 529 savings plan I choose? I live in California, is there tax advantages for choosing Californias plan?

Some states provide tax breaks if you contribute to their 529. I don't know if that's true for Cali. Here's my order of operations

1. Look to see if their is a significant tax advantage
2a. If there is a tax advantage, look at the actual plan, ignoring the benifits, and see if it's a decent plan.
2b. If there's no tax advantage, then just shop the whole country.
3. If there is a tax advantage but it's a bad plan, then look to see if the tax advantage will outweigh the plan limitations or will outweigh a better plan elsewhere.

Doing a quick scan of their website (http://www.scholarshare.com/index.html), I didn't see anything that jumped out as a state specific tax advantage.

-spookysquid
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.